Users cannot access server from outside network

So I created a server and noticed I needed to portforward ect.
So after that, I apparently had a server running and when I setup the portforward it went down, I have a server created but I can’t do anything with it. Nothing responds, deleting it, starting it, ect nothing happens and I don’t know what to do.

Alright… now I got that working, but another problem is that my portforwarded IP does not work and the old IP with the portforward on it. I can join, and everything is correct on my end but it does not work for friends trying to join.

Ok. Everything works, I can join the server but the problem is other people canno

I port forwarded though, that is the problem.
They aren’t on the same ISP.
Is there another way I have to port forward with MineOS or what or is there a totally different IP I need to use? Like I said, I can join, using console ect works and everything. I just want as you said “that jummy down the street”.
The way I portforwarded was made my IP static, setup the portforward in my browser with the 25565 and I gave my friend the new IPv4 IP with :25565

Technically… :wink:
As long as the port forwarding is correctly set up He could to give Jimmy his public IP down the street. It does change once in a while. Although setting up a dynamic DNS like http://www.noip.com/ isn’t that difficult.

Ok, so apparently my portforward is not open or reachable according to that websites program. My IP is static and I did follow how to setup a portforward exactly how that website said to do it for minecraft.
What IP would I give to my friend? I want to figure this out, would I give the internal IP or the External IP ?

Port forwarding is still necessary for a dynamic DNS or an external IP address.

Your external IP can be found by googling ‘what’s my IP address’ <-You give this to your friend.
Your internal IP address Is the IP address you use to login ssh and what you should use for minecraft.

For testing purposes use your minecraft client and the external IP you to test whether port forwarding was set up correctly. Only when that works can your friends connect.

What model number is your router? it should say on the bottom of the router.

My IP address when I look that up is my IPv6 address, the program from portforward.com shows me another external address that is IPv4 and I am assuming the one that isn’t IPv6 is the one I should use.
My Router is NETGEAR C3700.

One thing I also should mention…
I am doing a lot of this through my PC while the server is next to it, I have the server hooked up to ethernet. This server won’t be here forever, maybe the next few weeks. It is then getting moved to another network where it won’t be under such heavy use as I do youtube and sometimes stream, so after I get it figured out on my network, would I basically be able to take my laptop over to the other network and settup the portforward again? Assuming it is very similar through routers? How much harder would it be to set the server up in another house, aka like how would I access the WebUI without being on the same IP?

MineOS only supports IPv4. Although correct me if I’m wrong @hexparrot that shouldn’t matter if you’re external IP is IPv6.

I would try connecting to the server using both IPv4 and IPv6 public IP addresses using the method I suggested above. See what works if neither do then there’s a problem with your port forwarding.

It’s a good idea to move the server to a low traffic network that has a high upload speed. Unfortunately you will have to set up port forwarding again. You will need access to a computer and the router to set up port forwarding at your new location. Use the router to discover what internal IP address is assigned to MineOS. Routers often have a different user interface but most do support port forwarding.

You can access from anywhere in the world the mineOS web UI if you port forward the user interface. Port number 8443. Make sure to use very strong passwords.

Check out page 84 of your router manual for port forwarding.

Follow the instructions on page 85 to Add a Custom Port Forwarding Service. Make sure you using the correct ports and internal IP address for MineOS WebUI and a minecraft server.

Going to my Grandpas house which have a bit better upload speed then I do and they don’t do anything that requires upload speeds or very very minimal.
I tried the IPv4 Address I get when running ipconfig in command prompt, I tried the IPv6 and the public address. What one would I use when I portforward? I am assuming the IPv4 one to keep it simplier correct? I’ll check that out later, I need a break as I have been doing this for a good 7 hours and I need a break.

You should be using your internal IP address for port forwarding. Your external IP is the one that has both IPv4 and IPv6 right?

Seven hours… sounds like a lot. I hope you over Skype or team viewer if you’re interested.

Skype would be nice, DarkBlade2117.
I can send you screenshots later if that helps about how my portforward is setup, I basically did that word for word but it won’t work. And a note, I know for a fact the server is working. I can join using my PCs IP address I just can’t get anyone who is not on mine.

I’ll be with you momentarily. Invite sent.

For anyone using the specific router WNDR3700 is going to have a bit of an issue using MineOS. The router is having my public IPv6 instead of IPv4 making it so others cannot join, and no where in settings can it be changed.

The router does everything I need it to do. No need for us to have some tri-band router that supports gigabit internet. My city has yet to reach a mainstream of 100up/down

If there’s a problem with the router’s firmware, you can always just flash it with DD-WRT, which will add many more features and is usually more stable than “stock” firmware. I honestly have no problem using old hardware, as most of my hardware is from 2005 and 2007 (laptops and desktops) and the phone I no longer use was from 2012 but I used custom firmware on it so it was kept up to date. Nothing is wrong with old hardware and I will literally accept old hardware like it’s new in all honesty.

EDIT:
Almost every problem can be solved by simply NOT STICKING with stock; for example, Samsung devices had an exploit within their keyboard software/app (switching the keyboard doesn’t fix the exploit since their firmware didn’t allow it), phone manufacturers usually don’t release updates often either, meaning that if/when new bugs are found, they aren’t patched (sometimes they never get patched at all, like when they stop releasing updates for phones) leaving you vulnerable, meanwhile a custom firmware allows you to “fully own” the device and make full use of it’s hardware capabilities, while keeping you up to date with the latest security patches. Older routers with stock firmwares are also easier to exploit, as they aren’t kept up to date with the latest security patches either. They also lack many features that their hardware is fully or even partially capable of doing.

EDIT2:
Added more info to my post above, and from what I’ve noticed in the past when helping out others from countries that still use DSL and it’s variants, I believe only one ADSL2+ router is supported but I don’t remember that model. However most routers are supported by DD-WRT, both new and old routers, and even the cheapest routers you can get for $20. D-Link seems to be the most supported by them, but I’ve seen plenty others as well. You can turn routers into repeaters, you can configure a router to “become a Wi-Fi card” for an Ethernet only device (the router connects to another router, either as a client or a client bridge, allowing clients connected via Ethernet to communicate over Wi-Fi through Ethernet, which happens to be the way I used to wirelessly connect my server to my network back when I first got into MineOS, however now my server’s connected directly via Ethernet and my desktop’s connected wirelessly via both Ethernet through the secondary router and directly via Wi-Fi…I did that because I want all traffic to go through the secondary router to the main while certain connections, such as live streaming, go directly so that it takes less time since it’s a separate connection with no traffic on it but that also means my desktop has 2x the bandwidth and has the fastest connection over everything else connected) and plenty more. You can check out the DD-WRT Demo (just so you know, each router’s different so you may have more features than what is shown there, or less features…it also depends on the version you install, and also, that’s a 2011 demo of the firmware, not a 2016 version). Also, routers tend to be a lot faster and better at doing a Wi-Fi card’s job than a Wi-Fi card usually does, I don’t know why but that’s how it usually is.

1 Like

I couldn’t figure out how to login because the tutorial I watched ( created by the maker of MineOS ) was outdated. First time I have done something like this and first time with Linux ECT. As for the server, it is going to have a Phenom x6 1075T 16GBs of RAM and a PSU ( EVGA B2 or Antec BP550 Plus ) which last for ages and will run 24/7.
I knew what I exactly needed to do hardware wise, I am all for learning but why are you still here if you’re just going to complain and make smart remarks about what I use? I appreciate your help but even with the help of Zone for easily a few hours we couldn’t figure it out. Once I do something one time, it is always fun share experiences with others and help.

What did you guys try? Maybe I could make an attempt to help out as well.

Requirements for a server on an internal network needing communications to external networks:

• One or more internal network static IPs for the server (local IPs)
  • A router that contains a firmware capable of portforwarding ports on the external/public IP(s) to local IPs on the network.

It’s getting moved to another location on a network with similar network and less traffic. If I still need help there I will ask. Thanks.

Since I have just gotten home, I can assure you what you suggested does not work.