Updated Beginner-Friendly version of MineOS-Node (distro)

i made it to work somehow

is there a way to make it boot with out the desktop? i want to use this os due to compatibility with newer minecraft versions. but the desktop eats my ram/possessing power so much the server lags/crashes, on my weak computer.

Yes, what you can do is install a server edition of Linux. I personally use Ubuntu for my server and I installed MineOS through apt-get. It works just fine.

Only downside is you need to learn how to do things with only a terminal interface which does take time if you are only a avid user of Linux.

@acrolance & @ovingiv | See this post for disabling the desktop environment/window manager, which happens to be ~5 posts up (using search also would’ve helped).

this may be a silly question for you but idk how to do that? after installation and making sure the fire wall is down with remote administration working… how do i make that run as root?

Pop open a terminal window and perform/execute/run “sudo -i”, and afterwards you will be in a root terminal from there on out moving forwards (for that terminal session);

alternatively, a much faster equivalent that keeps you in your normal terminal session but runs the command as root, is to just simply prefix the command with “sudo”.

Example: command “apt update” will fail without root access/privileges, prefixing said command with sudo (“sudo apt update”) will grant root access/privileges for that command allowing it to succeed, and keep you in your normal terminal session. Read up on sudo and root access (Google) for more info regarding it.

Update: I had originally planned to skip 18.04 and do a 20.04 release instead (due to timing that would make no sense to even bother doing/publishing an 18.04 over 20.04) however due to life stuff it is no longer going to happen (at least not anytime soon, I had planned to do it about a week after 20.04 but again life stuff means it will probably be months later unless I get lucky); for those of you however who are wondering, yes this 16.04 release is (or should be) still pretty good/solid and should also be upgradeable to 18.04 followed by to 20.04 (if you really want to) however I’ve not tested so can’t confirm a smooth transition, 16.04 is still solid and officially supported until 2021 with end of life being 2024 so no need to upgrade at all unless absolutely necessary for newer hardware or something (though but even then a newer kernel should suffice for newer hardware). Just wanted to give a heads up since I’ve had a lot going on in my life and it’s been awhile since I’ve been here and I’ve had many questions in regards to updates and whatnot so I figured I’d just let it be known publicly what’s going on with this.

tl;dr this release still is working and supported, there will be no new update or release by me for awhile due to life, upgrading it yourself to a newer Ubuntu release should work but has not been validated as being successful and there’s no reason to upgrade unless you need it on newer hardware (but even then a simple kernel upgrade should solve any “newer hardware problem(s)” after installing), standard updates will continue to work just fine like normal until Apr 2021, Security/Maintenance Apr 2024. Wanted to let everyone know publicly what’s going on with this.

(SOLVED) Hi Jay, I did the instructions like you said but all i get is a flashing line in the top left hand corner on the screen when i boot it up. I tried connecting to it via ssh, (I did all the IP tables and it worked fine before i restarted the computer) and got an get an error. Did i do anything wrong or is this normal.

EDIT: I ended up setting it back to graphical using the recovery mode, however, i’m confused why my ssh wasn’t working.

EDIT 2: So it turns out the IP table edits i did didn’t save so that’s why it didn’t work.

While you can use iptables to configure (override) the firewall’s configuration, in the GUI’s “start menu”, under one of the configuration/system menus, there is a “Firewall Configuration” there, which opens up “Gufw”, which is what is used to configure the firewall for organization, simplicity, and ease. “ufw” stands for “Uncomplicated Firewall”, with the “G” likely standing for Graphical.

I’ve left several presets for you to choose from (all of which can be further customized to your liking), the default being Local Administration Only which blocks off access to SSH and other remote administration service ports, with 2 other profiles for remote administration, one allowing SSH access, the other allowing SSH and Webmin access. In the new version that I was working on over a year ago, there were even more profiles for you to choose from.

Edit: You can also use “gufw” and other applications remotely if the remote PC also runs Linux or you have the appropriate software installed on Windows, otherwise you’d use “ufw”.

What is the root password?

Also, when I login to the MineOS webui and click download latest buildtools.jar or official profile download, it does not do anything. Any ideas?

Hi @Nyteghost,

if you installed the ISO of mineOS you should have made the password for root yourself, just note to not use root to host servers. Also buildtools.jar might be broken. If you look at it in filezilla or something how big is the file? if it’s really small it is probably broken and you should replace it by one downloaded of spigots own distribution system. I made a small tutorial for it in another post you can find it here

I couldn’t get this to work, so installed Ubuntu Server 20.04 (with SSH and no GUI) on the laptop I’m wanting to run MineOS on.
Followed this guide, https://www.vultr.com/docs/install-mineos-on-ubuntu-20-10
All now up and running and super groovy.
I first installed WebMin and set the root user to be allowed to logon. Then set SSH to allow root login. Then followed the guide above to install without any problems.
I reverted the root user changes once all was working okay.

Ok, so if im not reading it wrong there will be no update for a while maybe never? but there is no issue to continue to run mineos like for security reason? sorry for the dumb questions but it’s a lot to catch up with since last use of mineos and i’m ok with an answer from a user who have information and long time experience with mineos no need to bother the creator with my stupid questions :smiley:

The latest update to MineOS Node was 5 days ago:

MineOS is really just a WebUI able to run on top of most linux based WebUI’s. The ISOs are really just a preconfigured Turnkey linux with MineOS preinstalled. It is possible (and quite easy) to choose another OS then installing MineOS on top by followwing the guides on the wiki: MineOS Wiki.

MineOS relies heavily on the security and user management of the underlying OS.

Idk why but this iso has given me more problems than solved them. On 2 fresh installs, I got the error No profiles are available; check internet connectivity and refresh the profile list, the solution of which is to update the webUI. I tried to update it through the guide, but it pulled the same error many others are getting, that being

# npm install posix --unsafe-perm
posix@4.1.1 install /usr/games/minecraft/node_modules/posix
node-gyp rebuild

make: Entering directory ‘/usr/games/minecraft/node_modules/posix/build’
CXX(target) Release/obj.target/posix/src/posix.o
In file included from …/node_modules/nan/nan.h:190,
from …/src/posix.cc:1:
…/node_modules/nan/nan_maybe_43_inl.h: In function ‘Nan::Maybe Nan::ForceSet(v8::Localv8::Object, v8::Localv8::Value, v8::Localv8::Value, v8::PropertyAttribute)’:
…/node_modules/nan/nan_maybe_43_inl.h:88:15: error: ‘class v8::Object’ has no member named ‘ForceSet’
return obj->ForceSet(GetCurrentContext(), key, value, attribs);

[snip]

gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: make failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:258:23)
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:182:13)
gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:235:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 4.16.8-1-ARCH
gyp ERR! command “/usr/bin/node” “/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js” “rebuild”
gyp ERR! cwd /usr/games/minecraft/node_modules/posix
gyp ERR! node -v v4.0.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.6.2
gyp ERR! not ok
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! posix@4.1.1 install: node-gyp rebuild
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the posix@4.1.1 install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! /root/.npm/_logs/2018-05-11T03_17_31_779Z-debug.log

I tried to update all the packages and follow the steps outlined in the guide and this post, but it only created more problems.

Furthermore, trying to use the Firewall application in the GUI seems to do nothing.

Overall, given how dysfunctional the ISO was, I think it should either be updated or removed from the pinned in the forums so others won’t run into the same issue.

Hi, I am using the ISO provided but I cant seem to login to the MineOS webUI, it just keeps refreshing

I’m completely new to all of this and to Linux so I don’t really know what to do.

I’m having this same issue. Did you get it resolved?