Why does my server claim there is an error when I stop it, yet if I give it some time it stops perfectly fine?

Here is the log: I don’t understand why it takes it so long to stop the server

Nothing to worry about Spigot has a watchdog that watches the server when its running and will catch errors if anything goes wrong. Because you shutdown the server it thinks that something is wrong.

if you change this setting it will stop these errors. Having a low setting will cause the errors to occur 60 seconds should be high enough but this will vary if you use lots of mods or plugins and you may need to increase the setting.

timeout-time
Default: 60
Type: Integer
Description: How long - in seconds - the server should go unresponsive before performing a thread dump in the console and, if configured, attempt to shut down and restart.

https://www.spigotmc.org/wiki/spigot-configuration/

You also want to work out why your server “cannot keep up”

[14:17:47] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Is the server overloaded? Running 8191ms or 163 ticks behind

Not overall to do with this issue, actually it could be attributing to it but regardless its something that you need to fix and can be cause be a whole range of things, but it will mean that your game loop is slow and depending on context may causes issues like lag and data loss.

I checked this article and it still didn’t help fix the problem. I have no idea how to fix it.

[14:17:47] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Is the server overloaded? Running 8191ms or 163 ticks behind

This error can be caused be anything that can go wrong with a server. Like i mentioned it can be hard to pinpoint because it is range of causes are very huge.

• slow server parts?
  • Not enough ram
  • to many plugins and mods
  • slow hard drive
  • game errors

The list goes on it can be any number of potential issues that can cause this error not just the above, like literally anything to go wrong with a server but again it means your game loop is running slow, which means everything tied to that is also slow so including Sipgots watchdog,

This error means it will be having an impact on the initial console spam problem you were asking about. The timeout should at least fix that problem if you increased it.

If this only occurs rarely then it might not be an issue but if this is an error that is always in your logs then there is defiantly an underlying problem somewhere with the server.

There is 20 ticks in a full game loop so it is basically telling you that your server is 8 times slow or 8 full game loops behind.

Sorry for the very late reply, but I still can’t fix this problem. I set up a new server recently with a new world and this still came up even when I had no plugins installed. I have no idea what could be causing this.