Which version of JAVA are you using?

Hello,

I start a topic to get your java update experience !

I choose to use the oracle server-jre-7u67-linux-x64 on the original MINEOS DISTRO and since i get an really good stability with no particulars issues.

The only fact i noticed is that my server using more RAM than before, almost 1Go when there is only 3 users.
When they all quit, the “garbage collector” doesn’t free the RAM at all. And if an single user log in, RAM freeing start slowly.

And what about you ?

Even 1 user can use up to the amount of the java_heap and this is not a concern. Are you experiencing bad performance or is this just an observation that your free memory is lower than what is actively being used by online players?

I’m not experiencing any bad performance with this oracle JRE, i’m just curious about his specific behavior which is really different than the version of the JRE provided by the MINEOS distro. RAM freeing looks really less efficient than before but i get no trouble with this at this time.

I’m also looking for any feedback about stability from others MINEOS user’s about JRE minecraft server in general.

Thank’s for your reply.

(French user of mineos :smile: , it will explain my poor english)

Legally, I cannot distribute Oracle Java, though it is still readily available as a drop-in replacement to the OpenJDK that MineOS Turnkey comes with.

Here’s one method: http://www.webupd8.org/2014/03/how-to-install-oracle-java-8-in-debian.html (installing via custom repos)

The other method is downloading the runtime manually, and setting MineOS to use the new java: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

I know this is old but this applies to me. I tried using the first link in your post but it kept failing. I manually installed java 8 to “/usr/lib/jvm/jre1.8.0_51/” but the the command "java -version is still returning:

java version "java version "1.7.0_79" 
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.6) (7u79-2.5.6-1~deb7u1)                
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.79-b02, mixed mode)1.7.0_79" 

What command, setting, or file do I change to make it reconise Java 8?

I read somewhere that there is a system link here but have no idea how to change/update that?

this is what I do to get Java 8 or either version of mineOS:

apt-get purge openjdk* to remove old versions of Java
add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
apt-get update
apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
apt-get install oracle-java8-set-default