Unable to stay logged in

After logging in, I go to profiles and try to download 1.9.2. I click download, and the download percentage as seen in the tutorial does not appear. Refreshing the page forces me to log back in.

Occasionally, instead of getting the login page, I just get Connection Refused. This is resolved by restarting the server. Frequently it won’t load the strings correctly and instead of “Available Server/Jars Packs” I see “AVAILABLE_SERVER_PACKS”. Whenever this happens, the list of servers and packs won’t populate.

I have yet to get it to the point where it will let me click Start for a server.

I’m using 64-bit Jessie and running it in a VM on an ESXi host. I’ve allocated 2 threads, 8GB RAM, and 20GB disk space.

You can try updating/resetting the web ui with the following commands:

Sudo into root:
sudo -i
Then running the following commands:

cd /usr/games/minecraft
git fetch
git reset --hard origin/master
rm -rf node_modules
npm install
chmod +x mineos_console.js

Then after rebooting, it should work.

Also, check /var/log/mineos.log (you can upload it to a site like pastebin and link to it here)

JayMontana36
You can try updating/resetting the web ui with the following commands:

Is correct, I also had the same issue and seemed to resolve by updating the webui. (see here: A funny thing happened on the way to my MineOS WebUI)

However [quote=“TomatoSoup, post:1, topic:1169”]
running it in a VM on an ESXi host
[/quote] makes things a little different because I think you would be using VMware vSphere and have had to install open-vm-tools?

If you are, then you would highlight your VM in vSphere and click the console tab.

You should see “Turnkey GNU/Linux Configuration Console” at the top. Just click the window with your mouse pointer, it vanishes and now you are on keyboard control, (Press Ctrl+Alt to get the mouse control back.) With the keyboard, find the Advanced Menu button. Press A or Enter. Press Q for Quit, and Enter, Do you really want to quit? Y or Enter For yes.

You should see the header: Debian GNU/Linux 8 mineos tty1

mineos login:

Type in root, Enter.
Type in Password (the one you entered when you installed mineos): Hit Enter.

Find this line: "root@mineos ~#

Type JayMontana36’s commands above.

cd /usr/games/minecraft
git fetch
git reset --hard origin/master
rm -rf node_modules
npm install
chmod +x mineos_console.js

I always then do and if you want to:

apt-get update
and
apt-get upgrade if I did not already.

To update mineos I use:

cd /usr/games/minecraft
git fetch
git merge origin/master
npm install --all
apt-get update
reboot

Good Luck!

If I where to hasard a guess at what is happening you are experiencing a bad version of the FW bug that hexparrot is battling. (more info here: A funny thing happened on the way to my MineOS WebUI)

However, this is just an idea, and not confirmed. To do that we need to have a look in the logs that are mentioned above.

I also reccomend trying to upgrade the WebUI to the latest release with the commands given above.

If you do not wish to wait around for logs to be read, and workarounds to be found you can go down another path:

Make another VM for a new MineOS instance, but do not use the ISO. Instead go to http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.04.4/ and release the correct 64 bit ubuntu server (the server ISO’s are listed at the bottom). This will install a basic ubuntu server.

Then follow HOW TO: install MINEOS-NODE on UBUNTU SERVER 14.04.2 to install mineos on your ubuntu server.

That’s actually for the old LTS version, the new LTS version (which is 16.04) came out April 21st and is the new recommended version; the steps required to install MineOS in Ubuntu 16.04 though, are the same from 15.04 and 15.10.

Ubuntu 16.04.7 LTS (Xenial Xerus) is the link for the new LTS version, and after installing, follow the steps from the official wiki page (it says Ubuntu 15 but still works on Ubuntu 16.04) or from my website to get MineOS up and running.

Rather than apt-get upgrade you probably should use apt-get dist-upgrade instead, as it installs ALL updates that are available.

1 Like

A nice:D
I was stuck in the past, since the last time I had to reinstall I didn’t find the instructions to install with ubuntu15+ and systemd, so I couldn’t get it to work. So I let my search-fy get lazy and bookmarked the versions I knew where working.

JayMontana36, your instructions worked! The webui no longer kicks me out. I find myself unable to ssh in as root, but I can’t recall if that was a problem before. I can su to root anyway, so I’m just gonna guess this is a security feature.

I found myself with a new problem in that the server wouldn’t start, so I went to the server and hit the FTBInstall.sh, and now it appears to work. Did I miss a step? Obviously it’d be nicer if I could do the entire thing via the webui and not need to ssh in.

SSH’ing to your server as root.

Some server softwares are more involving than others, but the standard setup for most are just to download a .jar and to run it. For things like FTB, there are many dependencies within which MineOS does not execute for the user. Sure, it would be nice to do things via the webui, but the biggest problem is that people wouldn’t know it’s doing that maybe and ultimately it could end up leaving the user unaware of many of the requisite tasks that is necessary to properly start a Minecraft server

1 Like

Makes sense. I just thought that it seemed rather nicely packaged and suitable for all instances, so I thought that maybe MineOS already knew about it. Thanks for all the help.