Total Noob brand new MineOS. Would like to learn more

Hi all,

I recently moved away from the all too expensive hosting services for minecraft and am travelling down the path of running my own server. MineOS is by far the easiest way of doing this even for someone like myself who’s only knowledge of command line is when I google a questions and tinker around the edges to meet my needs.

Before I go into anything specific and annoy the more knowledgeable people in this forum with totally noobish questions, where would be a good place to start learning this mine OS system? and I mean START.

Ive been reading a little on these forums and I noticed people talking about GUIs rather than command line and doing upgrades and the like. Id like to do that but I need to understand my system first. For those that I know will ask. I’m running a desktop i7 (unsure of the real specifics as its just a second hand job, but it is running a spigot and a technic server quite happily) 16G RAM 15 for the servers and 1 for the OS. I installed MineOS from a download and it set up the desktop and gave what I needed to get started. Real impressed there. Unfortunately I’m at a bit of a loss when it comes to anything else. As I said before, I’m not good with command line code and would like somewhere to go to see if I can answer my own questions before I pester anyone else.

Cheers

For starters, I’ve based MineOS Turnkey on the Turnkey distribution system, which is basically a fancy way of saying “a Debian system.” Debian and Ubuntu are some of the most popular distros and–for the most part–anything you read online that applies to either will be useful to learn.

As far as “where to start”, when it comes to learning Linux…that’s tough. People certainly will absorb information and seek out information at different paces and different methods and for different areas.

I’d recommend you incrementally work on your skills by first getting a Minecraft server up. Then, slowly and surely you’ll run across things in MineOS that you don’t fully understand that you can diverge onto.

For example, in the webui you’ll see the “Load Averages”–if you’re not sure what that is, look it up just straight from google. You’ll quickly learn that it pulls the same information as the common utility top, which is probably one of the most important utilities in Linux altogether.

With a Minecraft server up, then you can see where all the files that get created are saved, as well as the backups and archives–this will force you to learn cd and ls, the most important built-ins of the command-line. Eventually, if you’re curious about any aspect of MineOS, you’ll find there’s a command-line equivalent of doing what the webui does and that will help give you small starting points of things to learn, rather than just going through a Linux primer (which still is really quite valuable, so I’d recommend that too).

The MineOS wiki has lots of command line instructions and tutorials as well, some of which is tailored specifically to MineOS and some is just rehashing what you could google about Linux. At any rate, when you do have questions, feel free to send an inquiry here; I’m sure a number of us can get you going on any clear, directed questions you put up.

Best of luck!

Like you, I was new to MineOS and had little experience with Linux. One very useful tool I use is Oracle’s VirtualBox. This lets me build a virtual computer and install MineOS. Then anything that I do, I can create a snapshot of that instant and if anything breaks after that, I can revert back. It allows me to make sure things aren’t going to cause problems in my physical hardware.

I started off by first reading the MineOS documentation on the Wiki page to understand a lot of the core foundation.
Since I am using a Proliant server, I also relied on the HP Community site as well as other useful forums like stackexchage and howtogeek. Once you get to a point where the system is operational, you can pretty much let it run on it’s own. Occasionally I log in and perform updates to the OS, WebUI, Turnkey securities and other packages, but that is a minor process.

I am still learning quite a bit, and don’t consider myself as an expert in this, but more of a novice. This forum has been very useful and always find friendly advise into issues others have posted.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Ill read through the wiki. My server is up and running and I have two mine craft game running. One semi vanilla and one modded (Sky Factory 3). But My concern is keeping the OS running smooth and making sure that its secure and up to date.

Keeping any server secure and up to date is a hefty task in itself, but the core components you should regularly focus on are at minimum:

1. apt-get update, apt-get upgrade
  2. updating the webui.

As for security I use a few packages that took some time to hash out, but I have been using APF, BruteForce, DDoS Deflate, RootKit and ClamAV. I had a bit of difficulties getting DDoS to work, and if you are interested in getting these packages installed, I can assist.

I found this document to be useful, but not sure if it has been updated recently.
https://www.iplocation.net/apf-bfd-ddos-root kit

DDoS Deflate needs to have the script changed in order for this to work. For that, you’ll need follow this blog”
http://bestbg.com/blog/hot-to-install-ddos-deflate-on-debian-7-wheezy-ubuntu/

I know there is a debate between installing an antivirus program on a linux server, and both points have reasonable value arguments.
My thought on this is even though most viruses won’t infect a linux box, that server can still host and transmit them.

Other tools I use are htop, speed-o-meter, and tmux
I hope this helps, and I did intend to post this sooner… but got bogged down with life.
Hope this helps.