Temperature and cpu usage stats in web browser for remote viewing?

First of all; here is some more information on the “server”: it is a shitty old computer made from about 3 or 4 other shitty old computers for the sole uses of:

1. running a minecraft server for my friends and I, and

2. helping me learn how to run a linux server for when I make a purpose built server in the future.

This is pretty much just a proof of concept for me as I want to eventually upgrade it to a purpose built machine for mass file storage/backup along with misc. server hosting and computational offloading. Since it’s just running minecraft ATM (and is woefully old/under powered) I have it running MineOS since I figured that would give it the best chance to actually work.

Specs:

Cpu: Pentium B950

Ram: 4Gb

HDD: 500Gb

Right now I’m just using it to explore different possibilities and experiment etc. as I learn best from just doing things and seeing what works and what doesn’t.

Since I really don’t know what I’m doing; I was wondering if there was any self contained programs available that I could just run that would set all this up for me. If not; are there any good tutorials for how to set something like this up with sensord and rrdtool etc? I looked into it briefly but I’m not very new to all of this and only just set up my “server” about 2 days ago or so. Since MineOS has a remote webGUI-thing @ localhost:8443/admin/index.html; would that make things easier or harder? Could I get it to run on localhost:8443/performance_data or even just next to/in place of the current CPU tracker? Or do I need to do it on a separate port etc.? Also; side not about the cpu load averages graph: is this using 1.0 as 100% utilization of 1 core or of all cores? And does it show total usage or just usage by minecraft?

MineOS Turnkey is just Debian, but packaged as a whole suite of things, including the main component the webui.

Therefore, anything you want to do with this server, you can do–such as install sensord or rrdtool. How are those installed? I’m unsure, but if they are packaged for Debian or Ubuntu, those instructions will work here under MineOS Turnkey as well.

MineOS comes with a webserver that hosts the webui. This shouldn’t cause any trouble with anything, anywhere, unless you decided suddenly to use 8443 for something else and they were competing for that port.

No, it wouldn’t work that way. I’ll tell you from a strictly technical standpoint, it is possible, but from a practical one, there is no reason to do this. If you really want to pursue this, what you’ll look into is called reverse proxying, and it can be done with nginx.

Instead, whatever monitoring software/remote viewing, have it hosted on any other port. 8000. 8080. Whatever port you choose, it should just be in addition to the one the webui uses, like how SSH uses port 22, separate from 8443.

I understand the appeal to have one webserver host multiple functionalities, but as somebody getting started with things, I feel confident in recommending to just keep them separate. Having two webservers isn’t uncommon, after all. For example, monit, or munit, or collectd, or nagios–all these will come self-contained with working, configured webservers. All you need to do, as admin, is give it an available port.

1.0 means your computer has a combined amount of work it is processing at the moment for one core. 100% utilization of 1 core is 1.0, 100% utilization of 4 cores is 4.0. 1.0 of 4 cores is not indicative of 25% usage of one core, but can be any combination of 4 cores’ worth of work combined.