[SOLVED] Unable to install Forge

Hey everyone,

I’m trying to follow the steps to install Minecraft Forge (which is probably out of date by now) but when I try to create a server to run the forge installer jar, I am presented with an error message “user ‘mc’ is not part of group ‘users.’”

My end goal is to set up a server for running the Pixelmon mod pack.

I can SSH into the server, and when I run the groups command for user ‘mc’ it does return ‘users.’

Thanks in advance for the help.

The forge instructions are still current, but the issue you’re having would happen on any custom profile (for whatever reasons it’s happening).

Are you using turnkey? Is this the original mc user, or was it deleted and recreated? Have you made any modifications to the group before–has making a server worked before?

Perhaps the answer lies in removing the char from the group and re adding, but I can’t say for sure based on the info so far.

Sorry, yes, I am using Turnkey. I’ve just updated the web interface (now on version a90b1b1).

As far as I am aware, it is still the original mc user created when the system was installed.
I was able to create a server when I first set up the system, but it appears that I can no longer do so. I get the same error when trying to create a server using the vanilla174 profile.

I’ve just removed mc from group ‘users’ and added it back, but I’m still getting the same error.

Okay, so I was able to create a new user and log in as that and create a new server.
I don’t understand why the original ‘mc’ user is not able to create new servers, though I did have this host offline and shut down for a good 6 months.

Thanks again for the help!