[SOLVED] Problem with HTTPS

How do I make my browser does not display a security error when I want to enter or my host?

What web browser are you using, Firefox, Chrome, IE, something else?

What OS are you working from?

Williamā€¦

Iā€™m using Google Chrome and MineOS Turnkey.

You need to pay for and install a third-party signed SSL certificate in order to avoid the security error. The security error is because it is a self-signed cert.

In your browser, youā€™re receiving a warning that the site youā€™re visiting is SECURE, but since is not signed by a third party verification institution like Verisign. This does not come with any danger because it is your own site, own your own server, but I admit it smells a bit.

For more details, check out Signed vs Self-Signed. Hereā€™s an excerpt which I think does a much better job describing it:

Since they provide the same protection, you can use a self-signed cerificate anywhere you would use a signed certificate. But some places work better than others.

Self-signed certificates are great for testing servers. If youā€™re creating a website that you need to test over an https connection, you donā€™t have to pay for a signed certificate for that testing site. You just need to tell your testers that their browser may pop warning messages.

You can also use self-signed certificates for situations that require privacy, but people might not be as concerned about. For example:

Username and password forms
Collecting personal (non-financial) information
On forms where the only users are people who know and trust you

What it comes down to is trust. When you use a self-signed certificate, you are saying to your customers ā€œtrust me - I am who I say I am.ā€ When you use a certificate signed by a CA, you are saying, ā€œTrust me - Verisign agrees I am who I say I am.ā€

There are places that give these certificates out for free (typically there are strings attached). But for the most part, you can purchase a signed-SSL certificate for maybe $10/year. This is what would give the proper green/ā€˜lockā€™ icon signifying a secure connection and that youā€™re a verifiable company.

In the end, it is no more secureā€“at allā€“but it is more reassuring because you (and any other users who may log into your webui) donā€™t see warnings.

1 Like

Yes I am aware that MineOS is secure.
I just wanted to know if it was possible to avoid this error easily and without paying.
But really it does not matter.
Thank you for your explanation anyway ^_ ^