[SOLVED] Friends get timed out after ~10 seconds

Hello,

Recently I somehow managed to port forward my server. I thougth that my problems would end there, but when my friend connects, he can run around the world, but like after ~10 seconds he gets timed out. I thought the problem was on his side, but after another friend tried to connect, and the same happened, I think the problem must be on my side.
Can it be that my internet is bad? I just tested it out, and the speeds were: download was 6-7mb/s, and the upload was 0.45-0.6mb/s. Would it be barely enough for us 3? Maybe the problem is elsewhere? The log says: Player lost connection: Timed out.
Also, to clarify, I’m running MineOS on a computer, completely dedicated to it, with 2gb of RAM.

That does sound like an issue related to your internet connection. Consider that for a server, downloading doesn’t happen much. Most of it is uploading to players.

Clients downloading the complete surrounding area already takes quite a bit of bandwidth, and if they’re running around the world, then they already have the surround area queued to send to them, and the areas they’re now entering needing to be sent to them.

Adding in player actions and movement could truly be pushing what the client/server is able to keep up with, and could account for these timeouts.

In multiplayer mode, a grid with a default inradius of 10 (for a total of 21x21 or 441) chunks is loaded around each player and sent to the player by default, although this can be configured to be between 3 and 15, usually only lowered with a poor connection home server.

441 chunks needs to be sent just upon login, moving makes that more.

But as you can see it might be possible to lower that number which might make it possible for you and your friends on your current internet connection.

1 Like

To lower the chunks I would need to set the view-distance from 10 to a minimum 3?
Also, if I tried running skyblock, instead of a normal world, should my internet connection be good enough?

That fixed my problem, thank you!

1 Like