(Several doubts) Using MineOS to host a Minecraft Cloud IaaS

Hi everyone! My name is Juan, i’m looking for the best (for me and my critheria =) ) minecraft server wrapper.

I’m new to minecraft servers so i’m looking out for a persistent, user-friendly, versatile and stable Minecraft server wrapper for my project, and i’ve been trying MineOS Turnkey.
The main goal is to mount a huge inter-national cloud server using KVM and setup MineOS on Ubuntu (or another recommended secure distro) as control panel to rent the service with the following models:

CLOUD ADMIN > RENT A MC SERVER WITH A SPECIFIC RAM SPACE AND PROCESSING POWER
CLOUD ADMIN > RENT A SPECIFIC SPACE TO ACT AS RESELLER > RENT A MC SERVER WITH A SPECIFIC RAM SPACE
CLOUD ADMIN > SETUP VARIOUS HUGE MC SERVERS

What I want to understand is:

Do I need something more besides MineOS to execute my plan?; Do I need to virtualize several times to make resellers or this can be done with a huge VM and some permissions at MineOS?

Sorry for my English, I’m from Argentina and has been a long time since I did not talk to anyone in English.

Best regards, to every one, and thanks in advance.
J.

Hi Juan,

If you’re new to MineOS and thinking about starting an international enterprise, I recommend that you first try MineOS and also all the commercial products that are designed for managing Minecraft servers.

MineOS has been–for years–an excellent front-end for Minecraft servers, to easily shield server administrators from the arcane commands and upkeep of backing up, archiving, and restoring servers; it has the focus of being able to do administrative tasks that many home-hosted users and some commercial cloud services have adopted.

MineOS is not a provisioning system–and it does not have any of the capabilities to:

1. provide a front end for users to rent a vps and provision RAM/HDD
  2. handle e-commerce from a web payments perspective
  3. handle ticketing and support for your users and resellers
  4. replace many of the features other MC control panels offer that cost money

I appreciate and encourage your enterpreneurial spirit, but I think at a minimum, before you could successfully pull this off, you’d need to consider the following things, among many others:

• Are you trying to be a KVM company? How will the consumer see this as an advantage to get their server and control panel bundled?

For example, regarding people who are willing to get root control of their server (i.e., rent a virtual private server rather than just renting a minecraft server), aren’t they already going to be well-suited to run the one script required to install and run the web-ui?

• Are you going to be providing technical support for MineOS if issues arise?

Do you have the experience with MineOS to do so–and if not, will they simply be referred here or to my email? (will this reflect well on your business model?)

I’d like to believe that MineOS is user-friendly, versatile, and stable. However, I have no reservations in admitting that paid control panels are often much more user friendly for the tasks people who rent servers care about. Many people who pay for their servers to be hosted elsewhere will end up with panels that handle their plugins, in-game permissions, and other game-relevant factors, which MineOS does not aim to do. Put another way, have you used all the available paid and non paid options (including MineOS) to see which would best serve your international cloud model?

1 Like