Setting Up Multiple Game Environments On One Server - How?

Just setup MineOS for my kids on a FreeNAS jail. I am able to run one server on one IP and port number at a time. What if I want to run multiple game choices on the same IP and port so they can select from “creative”, “survival”, “survival hard” as an example?

Is there a way to present multiple game choices on a single IP and port so my kids don’t have to change port numbers?

Thank you

Depending upon your setup, how you go about doing so is relatively easy. There are actually multiple ways you can go about doing so, however in your situation, despite the fact that you stated that you’d like to have multiple servers accessible via a single IP and port (which is doable, in a very specific but somewhat more complicated procedure that you really seem to not need/require and is not doable in any other way), what I’d suggest for you to do is to create the individual servers that you’d like to have, leaving the IP fields blank during creation or editing of the server.properties file/section, and giving each server a different unique port number. Then, via the server dashboard check the broadcast to LAN box and you should be good.

hi Daphew,

as per usual, JayMontana36 is correct and advice can be relied on.

broadcast to LAN selected on multiple running servers on differing ports should show a choice, an array of running servers that may be selected through the minecraft multiplayer mode screen.

however, i will now report the exception. i do not know the solution.

my set up to address the same issue as Daphew has and the solution exactly as JayMontana36 describes produces mixed results.

of the 4 laptops my family uses, using the exact same minecraft client/ launcher, only one laptop will ever display a selection of servers to log in to. the three others are blank. they do not show any servers and one must manually enter ip:port to log in.

the 4 laptops are a win7, win10 and two are win8.1. the laptop showing the title (found/ defined in the last line of MineOS config) of the servers successfully, is one of the win8.1.

i have never understood this and for us, since the one laptop works and also shows the ip:port the log on info is readily available.

as they say, curiouser and curiouser.

good luck!

tNt

Check Windows’ Firewall to see if Java is blocked by it. If it is, then unblock/allow it and that should fix that issue however if it does not, then look for/find “javaw.exe” or add it if it isn’t in the list (Mojang/Microsoft has started shipping/packaging versions of Java with the Windows version of the game (not sure about Mac OS X versions but Linux still has the older but still fully functional launcher as a Jar file, which for Windows was the same exact launcher, except for the fact that it was converted into the exe file format from jar) which at this point in time happens to be Java 8 Update 25 (jre8u25), located at “%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Minecraft\runtime\jre-x64\1.8.0_25\bin\javaw.exe” for x64 Windows Operating Systems (if you copy and paste, drop the “javaw.exe” from the end, hit enter, and manually browse for and select it manually or it will instead try to launch rather than selecting). Make sure it’s allowed in both private and public.

What happened was that, on all the laptops except that one that works is that you denied/blocked Java from being able to communicate over/with the LAN (internet and direct connections unaffected) so it wasn’t able to see those broadcasts. The moment you install/run Minecraft and click on Multiplayer, instantly it pops up and asks if you’d like to allow Java to communicate and it only asks once so if denied you’ll have to manually go find and change it if you’d like to allow it and vice versa. The same can happen with other programs relying on Java, however since Minecraft now ships on Windows with it’s own copy of a version, even if you denied/allowed it before you’d have to deny/allow it again being that it’s another version in another location (but it’s still a once-only thing).

1 Like

hi JayMontana36,

exactly correct again. i am still struggling how to correct it tho.

now that you mention it, and i need to read over and over what you mentioned lol, every time we launch the mc client the windows firewall throws up a dialog box.

and each time we check both radio buttons allowing both private and public.

i had been wondering a long time now (years in fact) how to make the choice one time and never see that pop up again. and i suspect the 4th laptop shows the server as intended because it is configured correctly.

on a side note, i use several other programs that also generate that same pop up box each and every time they are launched too, asking to allow or deny public and private communications because those programs rely heavily on java (javaw.exe) as well.

thanks for the heads up and i hope to solve this issue once and for all, soon as i figure it out exactly and correctly. configuring windows firewall has never been my strong suite and i have relied over the years on 3rd part firewalls.

best regards,

tNt

EDIT: i just checked all 4 laptops and none have “%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Minecraft\runtime\jre-x64\1.8.0_25\bin\javaw.exe” installed. waiting for the girls to want to fire up the mc server to check the rest.

Well with Windows, 3rd party firewalls may or may not conflict in one way or another; Windows Firewall tends to remain enabled (not disabled by 3rd parties) meaning that it’d have to be configured in both Windows Firewall as well as the 3rd parties. If not, Windows Firewall may allow something but the 3rd party blocks it and vice versa.

I’m not too sure what’d cause that to pop up numerous times but I’d still have to blame it on having multiple firewalls running at once, that and/or if your network’s profile is set to Public that could also be an issue with other services Windows has like local file sharing and such.

Edit: saw your edit pop up randomly while I was typing lol but the “%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%” is a variable on Windows that redirects to “C:\Program Files (x86)” so you can substitute the variable for what it redirects to.

Thank you Jay, we have our server up and running and can select from 2 games running on 2 different ports. One is creative the other is survival.

I moved the server to the wireless VLAN, checked box “broadcast” to LAN, but still have to enter the port number manually on the wireless clients. Server and clients are on the same VLAN, but the clients still have to be setup manually.

I am running the server in a FreeNAS 11 jail, and I can ping, connect and administer, etc. Like I mentioned, I have to enter the port numbers manually.

TNT Thank you,

We have our server up and running and can select from 2 games running on 2 different ports. One is creative the other is survival.

I moved the server to the wireless VLAN, checked box “broadcast” to LAN, but still have to enter the port number manually on the wireless clients. Server and clients are on the same VLAN, but the clients still have to be setup manually.

I am running the server in a FreeNAS 11 jail, and I can ping, connect and administer, etc. Like I mentioned, I have to enter the port numbers manually.