Server.properties disappeared and players online always shows 0?

Hello everyone,

I set up my Minecraft server a few days ago and got it running with no problems. I LOVE how easy MineOS is to use and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Buuut… I think I’m having a newbie problem. I remember seeing the server.properties tab in the web UI before, but for some reason, it’s disappeared now. Additionally, the “players online” always reads 0. I remember this being accurate at one point, but it’s not anymore.

The only thing I’ve changed on the server was to set the IP to static through /etc/network/interfaces. Can anyone help me get the server.properties tab back? And perhaps get an accurate count of the players? I would like to keep the static IP so I’m hoping I won’t have to change that.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Did you recently change the server jar (upgrade perhaps)?

Have you tried updating and restarting the webui?

Does /var/log/mineos.log report any errors?

You know what, I did touch the server jar. I didn’t actually upgrade it, but I was messing around and selected 1.11 again (I had already installed it but since it didn’t display in the list, I thought it wouldn’t hurt to reselect it).

Sorry man, I’m a total newb at this. My only idea for solution would be to restart but I tried that and it didn’t work. What should I do?

Try these out from the above post and it can lead me in the right direction.

No problem. I just tried updating and restarting the WebUI but it didn’t change anything.

No errors in the log, either. :frowning:

I don’t know if maaaaybe this could cause an issue, but there was a power outage at my place and it cut off power to my server without grace.

One more thing that might be worth mentioning is that I have a “start” and a “kill” button on my server. Not a “start” and “stop.” Perhaps I’m mistaken, but I think it used to be start/stop. Just mentioning in case it’s important.

1 Like

I think maybe then you checked the “unconventional server” box. This would change your button from “stop” to “kill” because servers intended for checking “unconventional servers” typically don’t respond to the stop command. This box also would explain players online being zero because only conventional, vanilla-compatible servers respond to the players online query. Finally, unconventional servers–such as MCPE servers or c++ based servers don’t use server.properties, so ticking this box necessarily hides the sp tab because it would do nothing.

You are amazing Hexparrot. I don’t remember checking that box at all (guess I hit it by accident) but when I unchecked it, every issue I had was instantly resolved. Sorry to have bothered you! Thank you so much for your help.

1 Like