Scheduled archives a ticking time bomb

Is their a way to make archives save to the hard drive instead of the ram.

I did not know there was a way to save Archives to ram. Is there a way? Tell me.

P.S. All my Archives save to the disk the MineOS is located, by default.

I donā€™t know whenever i do archives they save to the ram and they slowly add up to used insane amount of ram

WOW, never did I hear of such a thing.

Good Luck!

Wait, did you say you have scheduled archives?

How is this? By script? Did you ā€œtake rootā€ ?

Archives do not save to ram.
Archives create a tar-ball (.tgz) file, and saves it under /var/games/archive/servername.

I have also observed balooning of RAM, but usually this is due to Java beeing crap at housecleaning. Java very often drops or ā€œforgetā€ to release used RAM when it is done with it.

You can both check ram and clear it with these commands:
free -m sync echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches free -m

free -m lists used memory, and is first and last so that you can see that RAM has been cleared.

I like It! Thanks!

But this guy Justin_Vitale still has a problem if he is not saving archives as a tar-ball (.tgz) file, and saves it under /var/games/archive/servername.

Why he is not is another question.

Why he thinks he is saving archives to memory is another.

And why he claims a scheduled archives cron job is a ticking time bomb if none of those things are happening.

all wrong in its own way i guess, lol.

If he uses The webUIā€™s archive function he is not saving to RAM.That function is hard-coded in the MineOS system to save to one spesific location.

1 Like

Thereā€™s no such thing as ā€˜saving to RAMā€™. All functions in MineOSā€“all of themā€“save to the filesystem.

Likewise, when you make backups (ā€œrestore pointsā€), they save to /var/games/backup/servername.

Java at times can seem bad at housekeeping, but actually more often itā€™s Minecraft/modsā€™ fault for leaking memory; the amount of work put in to making Java work properly absolutely dwarfs the amount of time and effort put into testing Minecraft and third-player mods.

One other thingā€¦sometimes the MineOS webui starts ballooning in memory; this is caused by enormous worlds and using old commits.

But we canā€™t know without more information. In the command line, use the command top which will actually list where all the memory is being usedā€“if itā€™s Java/Minecraft, then you just need to restart your Minecraft servers (or potentially your host system if itā€™s a bad leak).