Restore points not showing

I have set up the automatic archive and restore points (archives are done every 12 hours and backups have been changed from every 3 hours to every 6 hours). Archives are showing up as planned, but I am not seeing any restore points. The logs are showing the cron jobs running successfully and if I manually add a restore point I get a message saying the backup was successful but no restore points appear. If I look in /var/games/minecraft/backup I can see data there and also in the ‘servername’ folder.

This is a fresh install of MineOS on a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 server in a virtual machine. I have done all system updates and rebooted both the VM and Host. There is currently only one server configured and running.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I’m not the experienced one with MineOS, but aren’t restore points and backups two separate things? Anyways, if I’m wrong, SFTP into your VPS/VM, then go to /var/games/minecraft/backups/YourServerName, and tell me what shows up.

1 Like

The most common reason for this is if permissions get botched. The most common reason for that is if you do command line stuff, but do it as root user.

Have you been making and command line changes recently?

Take a look at the directory of backups, and a few sub folders. Inside the /backups/servername it should all be mc:mc, and no root. Can you verify this?

Check with command:
Ls -la /var/games/minecraft/backup/servername

Thanks for the replies. Because this is not turnkey, I am using the username/groupname minecraft.
Here is the directory listing of /var/games/minecraft/backup/servername (the current jar is 1.8):
drwxrwxr-x 6 minecraft minecraft 4096 Dec 23 22:00 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Dec 21 11:38 …
-rw-rw-r-- 1 minecraft minecraft 2 Dec 23 22:10 banned-ips.json
-rw-rw-r-- 1 minecraft minecraft 2 Dec 23 22:10 banned-players.json
-rw-rw-r-- 1 minecraft minecraft 150 Dec 12 22:24 eula.txt
drwxrwxr-x 2 minecraft minecraft 4096 Dec 28 00:00 logs
-rw-rw-r-- 1 minecraft minecraft 9605030 Jun 26 2014 minecraft_server.1.7.10.jar
-rw-rw-r-- 1 minecraft minecraft 10375504 Sep 2 02:33 minecraft_server.1.8.jar
drwxr-xr-x 2 minecraft minecraft 4096 Dec 23 22:00 old_data
-rw-rw-r-- 1 minecraft minecraft 101 Dec 23 22:10 ops.json
drwx------ 3 minecraft minecraft 32768 Dec 28 06:01 rdiff-backup-data
-rw-rw-r-- 1 minecraft minecraft 176 Dec 21 12:06 server.config
-rw-rw-r-- 1 minecraft minecraft 793 Dec 23 22:10 server.properties
-rw-rw-r-- 1 minecraft minecraft 106 Dec 23 22:10 usercache.json
-rw-rw-r-- 1 minecraft minecraft 2 Dec 12 22:24 whitelist.json
drwxrwxr-x 8 minecraft minecraft 4096 Dec 28 06:00 Xanadu

Alright, the next place we’d need to check is inside that rdiff-backup-data directory–see if all the permissions are consistent in there as well. The rdiff-backup-data directory is where all the increments are saved, and populates the values that the web-ui returns.

For a little insight into where those values come from:

root@core ~# cd /usr/games/minecraft/
root@core games/minecraft# ./mineos_console.py -s test command_list_increments
'/usr/bin/rdiff-backup --list-increments /var/games/minecraft/backup/test'
root@core games/minecraft# /usr/bin/rdiff-backup --list-increments /var/games/minecraft/backup/test
Found 0 increments:
Current mirror: Mon Dec 29 17:08:23 2014
root@core games/minecraft#

In my example, there are 0 increments (but there is a current mirror). Yours should show X increments (where X is greater than 0) and a current mirror.

Notice I did this as root, which you can too. When making backups and archives, however, you’d want to be ‘mc’ (or let the web-ui do them for you.

At any rate, should you find that any permissions are out of place, the fix-it command is:

chown -R minecraft:minecraft /var/games/minecraft/servers/test

(in the future, you shouldn’t censor out your servername…that is not delicate information). Users of the MineOS Turnkey ISO should be using mc:mc rather than minecraft:minecraft, which has been changed just for @Dylan3304’s use case.

Sorry for the delay. I did an ls -al on /var/games/minecraft/backup/Xanadu/rdiff-backup-data and can confirm that all the permissions are for minecraft:minecraft (at 545 lines, I decided to not include the listing).

I also ran the mineos_console.py and rdiff-backup commands and the end result is 76 increments - the date/timestamp shows the automated times and what can only be the manual backups. So the backup data is there, the permissions are good.

Good news, it turns out that if I login as minecraft - the restore points are there, but if I log in as my regular user they are not. Makes sense in that only the admin user can actually restore, but why does my regular account not show the restore points or the number of restore points. The regular user can only see that there are 0 backups / restore points?