Recommended CPU Hardware?

Hey all, first time posting and/or using Linux so apologies if anything is wrong or weird about the post…

So I installed MineOS on my system, and after some troubleshooting it ran fine and I was able to access the web UI on my main PC. However, creating and launching a server was incredibly slow. Now, I know I don’t have the greatest CPU in the world, an Athlon X4 750K at base clock with base cooler. I can post the rest of my specs if they matter, but from what I know the CPU matters the most.

Here are some excerpts from the log, for context;

[16:26:31] [Server thread/INFO]: Time elapsed: 1014857 ms
[16:26:31] [Server thread/INFO]: Done (1024.529s)! For help, type “help”
[16:26:48] [Server thread/WARN]: Can’t keep up! Is the server overloaded? Running 16945ms or 338 ticks behind
[16:27:50] [Server Watchdog/FATAL]: A single server tick took 60.31 seconds (should be max 0.05)
[16:27:50] [Server Watchdog/FATAL]: Considering it to be crashed, server will forcibly shutdown.
[16:27:53] [Server Watchdog/ERROR]: This crash report has been saved to: /var/games/minecraft/servers/dan/./crash-reports/crash-2020-08-01_16.27.53-server.txt
[16:27:55] [Server thread/INFO]: Stopping server
[16:27:55] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving players
[16:27:56] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving worlds
[16:27:56] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level ‘ServerLevel[world]’/minecraft:overworld

Is this indicative of a hardware bottleneck or something wrong with the install? If it is, does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of used hardware might run this best? Not looking to spend a fortune but if I can find anything for cheap or scour the local scene for something that’d be best.

Thanks all

MineOS can run on pretty much anything. I’ve had gotten it running on an old laptop with a CoreDuo and 4 GB of RAM. So it may not be a hardware issue. But, for the sake of better understanding, what are the spec of the box you are using?

I have seen the message about “…can’t keep up.…” before, but doesn’t usually cause the world server to crash. I would assume you are connecting directly to this on the same network, i.e.: 192.168.x.x?

What settings did you set for the XMX? (And I suggest not setting any value for the XMS)?

This cpu is no issue for a linux server running minecraft, ‘can’t keep up’ warning is useally one of several problems… saturated ram, to many mods… bad mod compatibility or to many players for your server. its not uncommon for 2-3gb useage per player especially if its a modded server. I would look at ram allocation vs useage first off. then to logs for any mod warnings.

edit reread ur post…well slow startup times for a server could be poor jvm args, or not enough memory. or again to many mods.