Players off LAN get connection timeout

hi the_scruffy_guy,

did you “apt-get update”? i do not see it in your screen shot.

yes, get in this case, not git.

also “reboot”?

note that a SFTP client can be of use for some things you may want to do in future. i use filezilla.

on my netwok, each device connected to it gets its own IP. example: server, NAS, PS3, PS4, and 6 laptops all get each its own internal IP.

to connect to any of them from outside, they need the outside IP address, when their request hits my router, the device is identified by port number.

not a detailed explainer so you may need more research there.

regards,

tNt

EDIT: i did not explain that well at all.

No you did a pretty good job they need the modem ip which is the external and the port 25565 is how they connect to the server on the network

my modem assigns each device an internal IP in this range 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.14 and even higher with more devices connected.

EDIT: please note you will need to add a new port number (make one up 22575 for example) to the IP tables if you want to create a second mc server configured to use that port and have both running at the same time.

they can both use the same port 25565 if only one server is on at a time.

Okay thanks! Well I checked my port on a site and it is open. But now I am getting a timed out message when trying to connect in game… :disappointed_relieved:

well, keep after it.

i’m not sure the issue sorry, probably configuration, a setting some place.

timed out just means it’s not connecting, but you knew that.

sometimes stepping away for a while and coming back with fresh eyes is helpful.

1 Like

also check back here sometimes for someone else’s reply. they might have a fresh take or a clue that breaks your case, lol.

good luck!

tNt

1 Like

Have you any new information on your issue?

For clarity, one of the most important things to know is that your external ip address should only ever be used when you are outside your network (i.e., not connected to your home modem/router).

Ultimately, your external IP address is given to your modem or router, and that is the only device that has that IP.

So when it comes to other devices, namely your MineOS box, they must have their own, internal IP and you’ll implement port forwarding (which I see you did). Since a website indicated that your port was open, then that means the port forwarding thing is a solved issue.

The question that remains is, when you get your “timed out” (in the minecraft client itself) are you using your external ip (107.x) or your internal ip (10.x)?

If you’re on the same router as the host with MineOS, you need to be connecting with only the 10.0.0.83 address, no exceptions.

If you’re out of the home, you need to be connecting with 107.5.x.y, no exceptions.

Is this issue still existing?

2 Likes

it started work so others could login now it randomly shuts down…

was going to use Ubuntu but couldn’t figure it out going to start a new thread with this issuse