No servers for Root user

I have been running MineOS for over a year now with no issues. I decided to upgrade to Node.js manually since I have done so much customization on the Linux installation.

I believe I got rid of the old scripts and services and fully installed the Node.js scripts by following the installation guide. I had some struggles, most caused by having too low a version of rsync.

I still have a few issues, but the biggest one as of now is that the root user does not show any servers. I have two other users that do show their servers correctly. I have tried “Refresh Server List”, and checked /var/log/mineos.log which showed the refresh operation and had no errors. I’m not sure what to do next.

root should never have servers, though. That is a huge security concern.

From the Python wiki:

Creating Servers
Servers may only be created by unprivileged users, or in other words: not root. Be sure to log in as any unprivileged user to create any servers you wish; trying to create a server as root will be met with instructions on how to create additional users from the command line.

From the NodeJS wiki:

Creating Servers
Servers may only be created by unprivileged users, or in other words: not root. Be sure to log in as any unprivileged user to create any servers you wish and leverage group membership to share control of servers with others!

So the best plan of action now is simply to chown those root-owned servers to non-root and use that user in the webui.

chown -R will:will /var/games/minecraft/{servers,backup,archive}/myservername

Thank you for the quick reply!

I did not create the servers in root. What I was actually trying to do was find a way to view the status of all of my servers, regardless of owner. Maybe I am thinking about this wrongly.

I have since figured this out. My comprehension of unix groups has always been fuzzy.

I have another question, but I will start a new thread.