Mysql connection questions

Hello, I have recently finished migrating from a online server provider, to an old yorkville server that I bought and finished upgrading last week. My last server limited my sql database to 150mb so I didn’t use it much. Now that I have a lot more storage, I’d like to use it more. I went through the basic setup, securing it and changing the root password and the few questions it asked me afterwards. after this, I configured AuthMeReloaded to use MySql, but after quite some time of tinkering with the config, can’t get it to go to the mysql. I also noticed there was a slot to input a port but I left it set to the default since I figured it would be accessing it on the server from the server. I tried setting the ip to my global Ip, then to my local ip of the server, as well as setting the login credentials to both the root user and the mc user. All of this with no avail. I’m pretty sure that I didn’t do something along the way. So my questions are: Do I need to have phpmyadmin to make databases? Do I need to port forward the port it suggested,(3306), even if its local. Which Ip should I use? Better yet, if you could lay out a walkthrough, that would be much appreciated, since I didn’t find the guide very helpful in this scenario.

MySQL has a command-line program which will allow a user to do 100% of MySQL administration through your terminal. This is, however, the most difficult approach (even though it does have awesome benefits, like being script-able, etc.).

Above that there are utilities like MySQL Workbench which provide a GUI to your databases–it is polished, powerful, and makes MySQL more accessible.

Then there’s things like PhpMyAdmin. PhpMyAdmin is different because while it presents the database to you–visually organized like MySQL workbench–it also allows very easy changing of values and your database schema simply by clicking edit on any given value.

Now, this might sound like PhpMyAdmin is the best as a result, but as you get more and more familiar with MySQL, you’ll tend to veer away from having this much flexibility (because it comes at a performance and UI responsiveness cost) and stick with the workbench.

However, right now at the beginning, PhpMyAdmin would do just fine. And most importantly, I wouldn’t discourage you from going right to the workbench because it a) requires no configuration on your server (as in, a new piece of software that has to be updated and configured in command line) and b) because hopefully it’s where you want to be and it’s ready for novices and experts alike.

With Workbench, you’d need to port forward 3306, as you would install the workbench on your desktop machine. On PhpMyAdmin, no forwarding is necessary for 3306, but you would need to forward the port that presents the PHP (so, 80 or 443–the web ports).

If your server has a dedicated IP (mind you, this is something that you would not have in your home), then this would be an OK thing to do. However, even if you did have a dedicated IP (such as in a datacenter), just keeping the IP for services like Minecraft, MySQL server…at 0.0.0.0, which means they will listen on all your network devices.

If you’re home-hosting, about 99.9999% of the time, you do not have a dedicated IP for this purpose, so 0.0.0.0 is also the safest bet. You definitely don’t want Minecraft listening to your local IP, but MySQL can–I just think that if you’re new to this, you will run into more obstacles this way.

The root and mc users in your Linux system are separate credentials than those for MySQL. While root (or mc) may exist in MySQL, they are not at all connected.

1 Like

Alright I think I got it, I used the command line, but I hadn’t made a database. I did that and I’ve gotten it to connect.