MineOS on Ubuntu Jammy: Can't start servers

I just installed MineOS on a fresh Ubuntu server following the apt-get+systemd instructions on the Wiki. The only differences are that I installed Node 14 (instead of Node 10) and openjdk-18-jre-headless instead of openjdk-8-jre-headless. I can log into the MineOS GUI, download profiles, create servers, etc. However I cannot actually launch a server. When I press “Start” (after configuring the profile, idk, memory, etc.) nothing happens.

I see this in /var/log/mineos.log:

{"level":"info","message":"[test002] 172.16.100.200 issued command : \"start\"","timestamp":"2022-06-02T01:01:33.581Z"}
{"level":"info","message":"[test002] received request \"start\"","timestamp":"2022-06-02T01:01:33.582Z"}

So I know it’s trying to do something. However there is no indication that java is launching Minecraft as there is no “logs” folder under /var/games/minecraft/servers/server001

What else can I do to troubleshoot why this isn’t working?

Thanks!

What minecraft version are you using?
Often this is a result of the Java version not matching the required version.

If you go to command line and to the server directory type java -jar <the_jar_your_trying>.jar

If you’ve changed your java to point to a particular version in the config use that instead of just typing java.

1 Like

Thanks @ElPres! That lead me in the right direction. Turns out my firewall was blocking the download and returning a “you can’t do that” HTML page, which was duly downloaded and saved as minecraft_server.1.18.2.jar. The fun of running enterprise security gear at home. Thanks again for the reply!

2 Likes