MineOS on FreeNAS throwing up an errror

So I went to make a server on MineOS through the plugin on FreeNAS, should be simple enough right? Wrong. Any time I try to start the server on anything other than 0.0.0.0:25565, it just eats it. Even if it does start on 0.0.0.0:25565 that just doesn’t connect to anything in game. If you can help me let me know, I have pasted the log below.

[07:49:19] ain/WARN]: Ambiguity between arguments [teleport, destination] and [teleport, targets] with inputs: [Player, 0123, @e, dd12be42-52a9-4a91-a8a1-11c01849e498]
[07:49:19] ain/WARN]: Ambiguity between arguments [teleport, location] and [teleport, destination] with inputs: [0.1 -0.5 .9, 0 0 0]
[07:49:19] ain/WARN]: Ambiguity between arguments [teleport, location] and [teleport, targets] with inputs: [0.1 -0.5 .9, 0 0 0]
[07:49:19] ain/WARN]: Ambiguity between arguments [teleport, targets] and [teleport, destination] with inputs: [Player, 0123, dd12be42-52a9-4a91-a8a1-11c01849e498]
[07:49:19] ain/WARN]: Ambiguity between arguments [teleport, targets, location] and [teleport, targets, destination] with inputs: [0.1 -0.5 .9, 0 0 0]
[07:49:20] [Server thread/INFO]: Starting minecraft server version 1.15.2
[07:49:20] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading properties
[07:49:20] [Server thread/INFO]: Default game type: SURVIVAL
[07:49:20] [Server thread/INFO]: Generating keypair
[07:49:20] [Server thread/INFO]: Starting Minecraft server on 72.241.167.35:25565
[07:49:20] [Server thread/INFO]: Using default channel type
[07:49:21] [Server thread/WARN]: **** FAILED TO BIND TO PORT!
[07:49:21] [Server thread/WARN]: The exception was: java.net.BindException: Can’t assign requested address
[07:49:21] [Server thread/WARN]: Perhaps a server is already running on that port?
[07:49:21] [Server thread/INFO]: Stopping server
[07:49:21] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving worlds
[07:49:21] [Server thread/ERROR]: Exception stopping the server
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.a(SourceFile:559) ~inecraft_server.1.15.2.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.s(SourceFile:587) ~inecraft_server.1.15.2.jar:?]
at wd.s(SourceFile:597) ~inecraft_server.1.15.2.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(SourceFile:689) inecraft_server.1.15.2.jar:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_265]

There is really no need to configure this to anything other than 0:0:0:0. It means that Minecraft listens for requests on all possible network interfaces, instead of only the specified one.

This looks like you are trying to bind your minecraft server to an external IP, not a LAN IP. If you want to bind to a specific IP, you need to use the IP your MineOS installations network card uses. Trying to bind to adress it do not have either results in server beeing inaccesible, or the type of error you give above :

1 Like

More specifically, your FreeNAS installation does not bind to 72.241.167.35.

If you are like almost all home-hosted users, that IP address is issued to your modem, and your router uses NAT so that all your devices share that IP address.

If this is the case, then no interface on your FreeNAS box actually is designated for that IP, and that is why Minecraft cannot bind to that IP, despite the “?” warning about “server already running”.

The only values you would otherwise be able to fill in server.properties is 0.0.0.0 (all interfaces) OR the 192 address your system is allocated. Note, there is no security or performance benefit to this; 0.0.0.0 is almost universally a better choice.

TLDR; 0.0.0.0 is almost certainly what is needed in the server.properties, but do let us know what your intent for filling in the IP address is, so we can help understand what you’re trying to do.

Okay so I’ve switched back to 0.0.0.0:25565 but how would I even connect to that in Minecraft because adding as a server nor direct connecting gives me any luck. So how would I set it to a unique IP that me and a couple friends can join?

FreeNAS uses docker, which adds a whole new layer of networking to your setup.

Whereas the typical setup involves:

[INTERNET] -> [YOUR ROUTER] -> [YOUR HOST] -> [MC Server]

FreeNAS therefore does this:

[INTERNET] -> [YOUR ROUTER] -> [YOUR FREENAS HOST] -> [DOCKER INSTANCE] -> [MC Server]

Your MC server is already running, and listening. Your router is (presumably) already set up for port forwarding. So at this point you just need to make sure that your freenas host forwards packets to the docker instance properly.

Since I’m not familiar with FreeNAS and I’m not the maintainer of the MineOS plugin for FreeNAS, I can’t provide any further specifics. But to that end, FreeNAS is innumerably popular in deploying MineOS, so it’s very possible, but I’m just not familiar with FreeNAS enough to provide further guidance.

Possible help: https://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/im18vr/trying_to_port_forward_to_a_mine_os_server/