MineOS network configuration

So, I installed MineOS turnkey onto a computer that I wanted to use for a small server for me and my friends. However, there was an error with the network configuration, which I eventually traced back to turnkey/debian/mineos not coming with drivers for the network card. The card is an intel e1000e 2.3.2-k card, and I found the drivers for it. I just have no clue how to install the drivers via usb to the laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Turnkey comes with a limited set of drivers. It is possible to add drivers, but this means several steps, and when it comes to NiC-drivers, you also have to get them to the computer.

It is, however, possible to install the WebUI on top ubuntu or debian. For ubuntu here: https://minecraft.codeemo.com/mineoswiki/index.php?title=MineOS_(apt-get%2Bsystemd)

1 Like

I should be able to get them to the computer by usb right? And I could get ubunto server, but the computer isn’t exactly the best and from my understanding Turnkey is the lightest os available for mineos, right?

Turnkey is basically a stripped down debian. most (if not all) commands for debian should work for Turnkey
Try the followin googles:

Turnkey mount USB
Debian mount USB

Tunkey install NIC drivers
Debian Install NIC drivers.

No, Turnkey isn’t the lightest–it’s just the most…turnkey. That is, it has everything necessary for the majority of users who want to host Minecraft.

Turnkey is Debian, 100%, without any qualifiers. Turnkey is a project that makes it so people can distribute Debian with exactly the packages a particular role might need, e.g., webservers or databases.

Or put another way: Turnkey is a Debian-distro creator

When I made this distro, MineOS Turnkey, I included Java, MySQL, and the MineOS webui–these are a few of the components that would not be installed by default in a normal installation, whether Debian, Ubuntu, or CentOS–but I’ve packaged them so the admin doesn’t have to install them manually.

Drivers aren’t really what make a distro–drivers are in the kernel; the kernel is the same between Debian and Ubuntu and CentOS…but different applications warrant different drivers to be included by default. Make no mistake, every driver Linux supports can be made to run on pretty much any distro out there, but it’s a trade-off between having ALL drivers included versus whether they’ll just bloat up the system. That’s also why server distros (and MineOS turnkey) don’t come with GUIs and why driver support isn’t all-encompasing.

All that is a long-winded way of saying: yes, you can install those drivers. No, it won’t be as easy as it is with Windows that you might be familiar with.

Likely, it’ll be less work to find a distro that has support built-in from the start. But then again, it might be required for any distro that you build it manually if Intel licensing restricts distribution of the driver via ISO or if it always distributes really old versions.

I understand that it might be easier, but I feel like I have it 90% done. I’ve mounted the flash drive, got into the /mnt, (I have to convert the .tar.gz to a .deb using alien), and see the driver in the /mnt. I am a total linux noob, any idea’s how to install it or where to go from there?

There are instructions from Intel.

EXCERPT:

Building and Installation
-------------------------

NOTES:

- For the build to work properly, the currently running kernel MUST match
  the version and configuration of the installed kernel sources. If you have
  just recompiled the kernel reboot the system before building.
- RPM functionality has only been tested in Red Hat distributions.

1. Move the base driver tar file to the directory of your choice. For
   example, use '/home/username/e1000e' or '/usr/local/src/e1000e'.

2. Untar/unzip the archive, where <x.x.x> is the version number for the
   driver tar file:
   tar zxf e1000e-<x.x.x>.tar.gz

3. Change to the driver src directory, where <x.x.x> is the version number
   for the driver tar:
   cd e1000e-<x.x.x>/src/

4. Compile the driver module:
   # make install
   The binary will be installed as:
   /lib/modules/<KERNEL VERSION>/updates/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/e1000e.ko

The install location listed above is the default location. This may differ
   for various Linux distributions.

5. Load the module using the modprobe command:
   modprobe <e1000e> [parameter=port1_value,port2_value]

Make sure that any older e1000e drivers are removed from the kernel before
   loading the new module:
   rmmod e1000e; modprobe e1000e

6. Assign an IP address to the interface by entering the following,
   where ethX is the interface name that was shown in dmesg after modprobe:

ip address add <IP_address>/<netmask bits> dev ethX

7. Verify that the interface works. Enter the following, where IP_address
   is the IP address for another machine on the same subnet as the interface
   that is being tested:
   ping <IP_address>

NOTE:
   For certain distributions like (but not limited to) RedHat Enterprise
   Linux 7 and Ubuntu, once the driver is installed the initrd/initramfs
   file may need to be updated to prevent the OS loading old versions
   of the e1000e driver. The dracut utility may be used on RedHat
   distributions:
	# dracut --force
   For Ubuntu:
	# update-initramfs -u

So! Here I am! I’ve been busy with school so haven’t had much time for this side project. I managed to get all the way to #make install, but when I do it gives an error about kernel header files not being in the expected locations. After some poking around, I found some stuff also from intel on how to find and install them with CentOS, but that leaves me sort of lost on what next. Do I have to find the kernel headers on my other computer, and use the same process to get them into MineOS and install them that way? Or are they already there somewhere? Sorry for the trouble!
edit: so i looked and what uname -a gives me is the same for what dpkg --list | grep linux-image gives me. That should be look at the mineos version and the kernels version, which are both 3.16.0-2+deb8u3. I am confused

Alright! So I did some stuff, I found the deb8u5 update of the kernels for 3.16.0-4, but when I tried to install it I got more errors. I’m trying to upload a picture but idk if it will or how to?

Sure a picture will be fine; you should be able to upload it through here (if they’re reasonably sized–they don’t need to be high def, HDR!) or imgur should work as well.