Jessie Version and Java 8 for Forge?

Ok so I’m not quite sure if this is the correct place to put this…

New download of Jessie version comes with Open JDK installed. Everything seems ok… Go to profiles and grab forge 1.12.x.x (downloaded). Then I upload Enigmatica 2 server .zip file into the import server. So far all seems normal. In the past I had to “import server” and select the .zip file, then I set the profile to the appropriate forge profile, then change the runnable .jar to the “install.jar” file for forge. Accept the EULA. Hit start. It normally should run for a minute or two while Forge installs it’s required files and then will STOP. At that point I normally would change the runnable .jar file to the forge universal.jar, change my parameters and hit start and the server starts right???

I cannot even start to run the installer.jar file because forge says it requires java 8 to run. SSH into the server and attempt to run the command “java -jar forge…installer.jar” and I am greeted with “Java 8 required to run forge. please download from java.com/download” etc.

I have followed all kinds of posts on how to add java however on adding the repos I am following this: (copy/paste from another forum I posted on)

I try the following command: add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java

I receive the following: -bash: add-apt-repository: command not found

I looked online and it said I need to run the following command to get the add-apt-repository command:
apt-get install software-properties-common python-software-properties

Which returns:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package software-properties-common
E: Unable to locate package python-software-properties

At this point I’m stuck.

Any help?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

What was the URL you downloaded from?

All ISOs should have Java 8 and if I have some URLs that haven’t gotten updated on my documentation, it definitely needs to be cleared out. Not sure how it could have lasted this long.

With that said, if add-apt-repository doesn’t work, it should be just as viable to add repositories directly to the apt sources instead of relying on that additional package.

Even further, you can also actually just download the steps via downloading the binaries for Java directly. If they’re in your $PATH, they’ll be used instead of the existing java directories.