Import world

OK Thanks! Is there a specific location I should be doing this or does it not matter?

Sorry for the late response

var/games/minecraft/servers/(Server-name) is correct
Check this if it helps
https://minecraft.codeemo.com/mineoswiki/index.php?title=Importing_a_world

It’s ok, but it didn’t work, whenever I would issue cp -rv it would come up with the error
cp: missing file operand
Try ‘cp --help’ for more information.

Did you type cp -rv [world to transfer] /var/games/minecraft/servers/[servername]/
make sure / at end so the world will end up in the right place
Also make sure that the server you are trying to import into is shut down at the time.
Also you might need to delete the world first
rm -rv /var/games/minecraft/servers/[servername]/world
If you still have trouble with this try installing Filezilla or WinSCP it is more like doing it in windows than command line. then you can just copy and paste with the mouse

Ah I understand now! Apologies I was just doing cp -rv without anything after it. I will do this now and see if it works! Thanks!

I’m still having problems but I don’t know why, I put the world into the server folder using the command you told me, but whenever the server would load up the world would be a new world. I put it in the server files before and after I pressed ‘start’ for the first time, and I removed the world file that was already in there. Is there something I’m doing wrong?

Are the world folders the same name?

Yes, they were all called ‘world’

I had this same problem for a bit until I understood that there is a sub folder called ‘world’. See this for example:

You will need to use the cp command to the ‘var/games/minecraft/servers/(Server-name)/world’ folder

I’m pretty sure that’s the file I’ve been trying to replace. Unless I’m mistaken. I’ve been moving my zip file called ‘world’ to /var/games/minecraft/servers/(Server Name) after running the command rm world. Unless I’m misunderstanding, apologies if I am.

Should be not zipped or you should unzip the contents into the world folder

Sorry for the late reply
But I’m still having no luck, when I put the unzipped folder in, the player data and world seed is there but the structures are not.

Does anyone have any possible solutions? I still cannot import a world into the server

Assuming nothing’s changed since I last messed with Minecraft, your world save folder, lets call it “spworld”; in your server.properties file, world-name would need to match the save folder name if you do not rename “spworld” to the default setting/config/name of world. Under MineOS’ server directory, under your server’s name (/var/games/minecraft/servers/[server]), that is where you place “spworld”, and it should pretty much just work. If for some reason it does not and it appears you are in a new world, take a look at F3 for coordinates and compare where you are on the server vs where you are in single player aka where you expect to be; chances are you will need to travel over to the coords on the server vs singleplayer respawning/continuing at your last coords.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply, I tried as you said and went to the right co ordinates, but when I join I still have all my items but the structures I built are all gone. But I am in the same world with the same seed, but the world is empty.

So far I’ve tried importing the world by putting my ‘world’ folder into /var/games/minecraft/import and creating server from import; making a new server and adding a folder with a different name in /var/games/minecraft/servers/(ServerName) and changing the world name in the settings to the folder name; I’ve created a new server and replaced the folders inside with a folder called ‘world’ which is my world folder. I may have tried other methods but I can’t remeber. If anyone has anything else I could possibly try please can you tell me.

I finally found a solution to import the world. The world has not had any bugs or chunk issues and runs fine with plugins.
Here’s what to do if you’re having the same issue as me:

Copy the entire folder structure of the world to be imported, either to your MineOS file-system (or somewhere that your file-system can access)
Rename the topmost folder to “Import_World”

In MineOS Web Console:
Click on “Create New Server”
Enter server details - make a note of the servername DadsTestServer
Click the “Create New Server” button
Click “Server Status” - make sure the Currently Selected Server is the one you have just created
In the Server Actions area, click the “Change profile to:” combobox and select a profile (1.14.4)
In the Java Settings area, click the “Change runnable jar to:” combobox and select the same version .jar file as the profile selected in the previous step.

Connect to the File System of your MineOS install:
Navigate to the folder that has the “Import_World” file that you created/copied/renamed in the first step
Copy this to the folder structure of the MineOS server that you have just created using the following command replacing {servername} with the servername created in MineOS
cp -rv * /var/games/minecraft/servers/{servername}

navigate to where you have just copied the world
cd /var/games/minecraft/servers/{servername}

give your MineOS read/write permissions to the world data - otherwise it will reset the world, not retain inventory etc etc
chmod -R 777 Import_World

Return to the MineOS Web Console:
Click on Server.properties
Change the “level-name” to “Import_World”
Click “Server Status”
In the Server Actions area, click the “Accept EULA” button
In the pop-up window click the “Accept EULA” button, then the “Start” button
The “logs/latest.log” link should appear after a few moments and your server should now be running

Open Minecraft and connect to your new server

Please pardon the beginner question, but where would I be typing the commands you have listed? I’m running MineOS as a plugin on my TrueNAS (FreeNAS) server. Thanks!

I’m also needing help with where to input these commands. currently im having the exact same issue however i have managed to wipe the permissions using the below command whilst I’m inside of the mineos jail. (im on TrueNAS FreeBSD using mineos plugin)

chown -R root:wheel /var/games/minecraft/servers/[servername]

This command allows me to at least start the world but as per your issue the server is missing all structures and data whilst configuration settings for the original server remain.

Fixed the issue!

Hi there, I’m also problem solving on FreeBSD. to fix this you need to use a software called Putty that will SSH into your server. you could if you really needed to use the shell inside of Truenas/Freenas but this is quite janky. see my instructions below:

1. Open putty
  2. enter the local ipaddress of the server you wish to connect to, mine is 192.168.0.10
  3. enter the root username and password
  4. enter iocage console mineos in this example mineos is the name of the jail that mineos is installed to.
  5. follow the instructions that have been shown above with regards to moving the server files around. as a small abridged version i will summarise. through the GUI of Truenas/Freenas, go to the “sharing” section of the side navigation
  6. Then, go to windows shares SMB
  7. Click Add in the top right
  8. Navigate to the location of the jail - use my folder structure as reference however yours might be different: /mnt/Jail_Storage/iocage/jails/mineos/root/var/games/minecraft
  9. on your windows pc navigate to “network > thenameofyourTRUENASsever” you should see your share on the list
  10. if youre unable to edit items in this folder then head back to the Sharing / SMB page in truenas, find the share you made, click the 3 dots on the far left of it and press “Edit Filesystem ACL” here, add the user you would like to use to access the files on the windows pc. i use a user called Admin, it has “full control” set on this page.
  11. in MineOS GUI interface, create a server with the name of the server you wish to use.
  12. Copy the contents of your previous server into this new folder
  13. Back to Putty where we left it earlier, logged into the MineOS Jail, enter this: `chown -R 777 /var/games/minecraft/servers/[servername]
  14. navigate back to MineOS GUI, you should now be able to select the Java version, accept the Eula and Load the game.

NOTE after entering the code shown above for the first time, i see in my MineOS that the game is owned by (777)? this is a good sign, after first boot this will be changed to (root). Whilst testing this i found EVERY first boot failed once, then i pressed it again and it worked.

i will try to help if there are any confusions but sadly i cannot help much further with what has been already said, i do not know many SSH command just yet.