How do i change server ip address

How do i change server ip address
i just don’t trust my friends all over the world so i wanna change from my personal ip address to something that’s not my ip. How?

Well the only thing that I can think of is to setup a server and have it in a DMZ of the router. Then use a dynamic dns service to point to that. There are free services available, if you perform their upkeep.

Your IP address is issued to your by your ISP (internet service provider). Users will 100% need that information to be able to reach your server.

Using things like Dynamic DNS will aid these users in not needing to know your IP address (and instead use something like myminecraftserver.dyndns.org) but this address will still reveal your IP.

Two things to consider:

1. it’s not that dangerous for your public IP to be out there (provided that your router is set up with a firewall) on its own

2. servers listening and letting users through that firewall is what could be dangerous. If you don’t trust your friends… you should consider a hosting solution that’s not at home?

Recommendations:

1. research what people can do with just your IP. Get more comfortable knowing that your internet address doesn’t mean people can enter your network, like how knowing your street address doesnt mean people can enter your house.

2. if you’re still afraid of all the ways your street / internet address expose you, consider paid hosting elsewhere with commercial companies. personally hosting minecraft servers means providing personal ip addresses.

2 Likes

You could setup a proxy with like bungeecord. The only thing with this is that it probably isn’t going to be free (since you are going to want to host it on a VPS or something of that level, recommended is only 512mb so just a few bucks on sites like OVH). Same goes for special VPN services that technically could do this. bungeecord would eliminate the need to give out the public IP and you can also bind a domain to it. People can probably still find your public IP but they would need to try harder.