Having issues running the forge profile using --installServer

I followed the guides and built a custom profile to use forge 1.9-12

I successfully download the universal jar file and when I “start” a server with that profile, using the --installServer command, no server file is created.

I ran the command manually and I get this error:

> java -jar forge-1.9-12.16.0.1863-1.9-universal.jar --extract

We appear to be missing one or more essential library files.
You will need to add them to your server before FML and Forge will run successfully.java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:366)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:355)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:354)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:278)
at net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.run(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:25)
at net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.main(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:12)

> java -jar forge-1.9-12.16.0.1863-1.9-universal.jar --installServer

We appear to be missing one or more essential library files.
You will need to add them to your server before FML and Forge will run successfully.java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:366)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:355)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:354)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:278)
at net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.run(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:25)
at net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.main(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:12)

Has anyone run into this issue before?

Thank you

Wait a minute…having read my commands, I believe my issue is that I didn’t download the proper .JAR file

forge-1.9-12.16.0.1811-1.9-installer.jar is what I am supposed to use.

I will check it out now…

Yeah that file is used for manually patching both MC client and server jars, which can be done by opening an official MC client or server jar, deleting the meta-inf folder, and then dragging the contents of the forge universal jar into it.

That’s the correct jar to use for installation, however I think you’d still end up having to manually patch it, based on experiences in the past but I could be wrong, maybe it does auto install.

I have had good luck upgrading my forge’s by placing the desired installer jar in the profile folder via SFTP then selecting that installer jar to run in the MineOS WebUI when the selected server is down, start the server, it then installs the universal jar in the proper location and creates a log file for you! The server shuts itself down on competion, then simply select your new forge jar and start your server.

hope to be helpful, regards,

tNt

Thanks for the advice.

I ended up figuring out that I had the wrong MC server (1.9.2) for the forge version (1.9)

I didn’t realize that the minor versions of their releases had such an impact on whether or not forge worked

I ended up getting it going; but then realized that DynMap isn’t currently officially supported by forge 1.9 :frowning:

Well, actually minor versions usually are compatible with each other communication-wise and all but between 1.9 and 1.9.2 there were more changes and those versions aren’t cross-compatible. But yes, minor versions might break some mods (like Optifine for example).