Fresh install of Mineos on Ubuntu Server, won't fully load Webui

That appears to be the problem, Ubuntu by default has a random unknown root password. I did every step by Sudo, but that evidently isn’t sufficient. I stood up a VM with a fresh install of Ubuntu and went through the +systemd steps and the Web UI came up fine.

I then went back and went through the steps again on my physical server and the Web UI looks fine now. I just need to move my minecraft install to where MineOS wants it to be, looks like /var/games/minecraft/

Thanks.

It’s my understanding that Ubuntu doesn’t set root passwords at all. On Ubuntu, I’m accustomed to them walking you through one user, and that user is sudo-able–but root, specifically, does not have any password it would accept by default.

Where we’re at right now, let’s definitely look at /var/log/mineos.log

Regardless, the end result is the same, you can’t do anything as root without manually resetting the password, and evidently using sudo at each step of the process is not good enough.

I re-uploaded the mineos.log to the same location., http://www.shedracing.net/imgmisc/forums/minecraft/mineos.log

I created a server in mineOS, then imported my existing server to the same path, and it worked, once. I went through and was able to download the latest profile, and I see it the the var\games\minecraft\profiles directory. The server started from the Web UI, and I fired up Minecraft and was able to connect to my existing world, and everything looked to be fine. The Web UI showed the server running, showed me connected and the server resources in use.

Unfortunately I clicked a link and it took me away from the MineOS, and when I clicked “Back” it made me login again, and the server was no longer listed, even though it was running, and I was on the server in game.

Creating new servers now also doesn’t work, it doesn’t create the directory structure. and since I can’t access the server Jar or download it again, I am stuck. I rebooted the server and it didn’t make any difference…

MineOS also no longer sees the profile I downloaded, and won’t let me download it again, it tells me to check internet connectivity and refresh. I can get to internet from the server, and refreshing does nothing.

I tried to run the ./reset_webui.sh and got an “Access Denied” even as Root.

That seems more likely that the file didn’t have the +x attribute to make it executable.

["Error: Cannot find module '/usr/games/minecraft/node_modules/userid/build/Debug/userid.node'","

This suggests that there were errors compiling npm install userid (implied via npm install --unsafe-perms).

In fact, I notice userid shows up in that error log 1500 times. I think that’s a pretty clear indicator that we should look at that module specifically, and verify it really does build.

And doing that often means removing previous attempts, e.g., deleting /usr/games/minecraft/node_modules.

It’s uncertain, for example, whether it’s actually rebuilding userid or if it’s identifying that “hey it’s already there, so let’s use whats already there.” Maybe it is doing exactly what we want, then we just have to find out why userid is problematic on your installation, unlike anywhere I’ve ever seen.

In the hundreds of lines of output, I see this only once:

> userid@0.3.1 install /usr/games/minecraft/node_modules/userid
> node-gyp rebuild

make: Entering directory '/usr/games/minecraft/node_modules/userid/build'
  CXX(target) Release/obj.target/userid/src/userid.o
  SOLINK_MODULE(target) Release/obj.target/userid.node
  COPY Release/userid.node
make: Leaving directory '/usr/games/minecraft/node_modules/userid/build'

So I guess we can try these steps, but–again, let’s not do this with sudo, let’s do it as root, as the instructions advise. sudo and root are wholly different, and that difference usually is rather benign, but since we’re seeing an error I’ve literally never seen before, it’s worth taking the extra care to point out any irregularity or process.

cd /usr/games/minecraft/
rm -rf node_modules
npm install --unsafe-perms

You should be able to set the root password from your default account by using the command sudo passwd root
You may not be able to use the GUI interface, but using tty3 and up will allow you access to the command line.

That seems to have fixed it. When I brought the MineOS console, back up, It saw the Minecraft server i had configured previously, and I was able to start it and connect in game without issue. I also logged out, closed and reopened the console, and it still worked, unlike last time. As a last check, a bounced the physical server, and it came back up without incident, and MineOS started the Minecraft server on boot as I configured it. The profiles were all available as well, unlike last time.

I renamed the mineos.log and let it start over, and uploaded the current version here:
http://www.shedracing.net/imgmisc/forums/minecraft/mineos2.log

I really don’t understand why it worked once last time, I would expect it would either work or not, not work once then stop.

Thanks for all the help, hopefully you will stop hearing from me…:smile: