Forge Server wont start

I need help with my 1.16.5 forge server it keeps saying this and how can I fix this.

[04Feb2022 05:22:50.005] ain/INFO] [cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher/MODLAUNCHER]: ModLauncher running: args [--gameDir, ., --launchTarget, fmlserver, --fml.forgeVersion, 36.2.22, --fml.mcpVersion, 20210115.111550, --fml.mcVersion, 1.16.5, --fml.forgeGroup, net.minecraftforge, nogui]
[04Feb2022 05:22:50.017] ain/INFO] [cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher/MODLAUNCHER]: ModLauncher 8.0.9+86+master.3cf110c starting: java version 17.0.2 by Debian

That is not telling anyone anything.

Btw Java 11 seems to be the consensus for 1.16. You will have to install java 11 separately.

when I was posting this I was in a rush but I did install java 17.0.2 and now when I click the start it does nothing and I have a few modpack servers that are 1.12.2 and when i click start it says up and then down a few seconds later and i installed java 8 too

I hope this helps

You can’t have multiple java’s utilised by installing each one without some extra work.
In server.config you can populate java_binary with the absolute path to the java binary of a certain version.
e.g. I have extracted java 11 to /usr/minecraft/java/jdk-11/
if I recall correctly the absolute path to the java binary is
/usr/minecraft/java/jdk-11/bin/java
You can download a version of java 11 from

Also, a lot of these questions and trouble shooting has been talked about in the other similar threads, please research yourself and see if you can figure this stuff out.

Because the java path will be set to the java version that ships with your distro meaning that its most likely invalid against the Minecraft version you want to use if you are using the latest turnkey iso which is what java 17? and to my knowledge java 17 doesn’t work with anything except the latest minecraft? idk don’t play anything past 1.7.10 so idk without looking it up.

Do what ElPres suggested and there is a few threads that are going over this topic atm. I am basically asking for help here Java binary flag but if you read through it it is basically also showing the steps to setup java for any minecraft version all you need to do is find out what java versions you need.