Forge 1.12.2 Help - Server Won't Start

Need some help here. I am relativingly new to the MineOS world but not to Linux and such. In a nutshell I am trying to setup a MineOS server running the Forge 1.12.2 version so my kids can use the SCP mod to create a world. I can’t use the latest 1.13 versions as SCP only goes up to 1.12.2. When I follow the instructions I have found on here to setup the server it creates just fine. I change the profile to 1.12.2-recommended and hit start. It downloads and extracts the forge files. I change the runable jar to forge-1.12.2-universal.jar and when I press the Start button, nothing happens. Below is a screen shot of my settings. Am I missing anything?

First thing is are you using the official MineOS distro (and if so which one) or another distro with MineOS installed upon it (which one)? Second would be approximately how long ago or if you’ve tried updating the web ui? Third would also be Minecraft server logs if any in/under /var/games/minecraft/servers/{server}/logs incase that has anything useful. You may also want to bump up that xmx value a bit depending upon your system hardware configuration and any other servers you might be running. And I guess fifth would be whether Java is installed and if so which one/version being that Oracle Java 8 or OpenJDK8 is required for I believe Minecraft 12 and up.

@JayMontana36 thanks for your response. Let me try to address your questions one at a time.

1. First thing is are you using the official MineOS distro (and if so which one) or another distro with MineOS installed upon it (which one)?

I am running MineOS from the GIT offical GIT repository on CentOS7. I installed it following the located on the offical wiki here https://minecraft.codeemo.com/mineoswiki/index.php?title=MineOS-node_(yum).

1. Second would be approximately how long ago or if you’ve tried updating the web ui?

Yes, I followed the update directions from the Wiki and have run the update_webui.sh shell program just the other day.

1. Third would also be Minecraft server logs if any in/under /var/games/minecraft/servers/{server}/logs incase that has anything useful.

The logs directory under my created server is shown below. The logs don’t show anything at all when I click on the Start button. It is as if the server doesn’t try to start at all. The logs show when I initialized the server and it extracted the forge universal from the install.jar but that is it. Screen shot below.

1. You may also want to bump up that xmx value a bit depending upon your system hardware configuration and any other servers you might be running.

I set the xmx value from 256 to 1024 with no effect. The server will still not start.

1. And I guess fifth would be whether Java is installed and if so which one/version being that Oracle Java 8 or OpenJDK8 is required for I believe Minecraft 12 and up.

I am running OpenJDK 11.0.2+7 which is what gets installed by default on CentOS 7 as shown below.

The really strange thing here is that if I change the runnable jar from the forge universal to the offical minecraft jar file for 1.12.2 the server starts just fine. When i look at the file sizes for the forge universal jar file it is much much smaller then the offical mincraft one.

Well, my guess/assumption now is that your forge universal jar file isn’t actually a/the Minecraft server executable jar file hence there being no log files when it is run. The reasoning behind this exclamation/claim is/has to be

Wow I didn’t even see that fully but yeah that would about sum it up mostly if not completely.

Well, that might work, though it is I believe “experimental” or “unstable” or whatever they might call it, but I guess if or as long as it works then it does. I’m pretty sure you can or should be able to specify a general version or “branch” rather than just only the latest.

Anyways, the fastest/easiest fix probably likely would be for you to copy both the Minecraft server jar and the forge universal jar to your PC and then run the forge universal jar of it is runnable (if not then you’ll have to patch it in manually just like the old times a few years ago or grab an installer version/jar) and select server, then you should end up with a forge specific Minecraft server jar to run which you can then copy back to the server and run. The web ui may also have a forge option/profile but I’ve not checked or verified how it worked/what it did or does.

@JayMontana36 looks like you were right with the java version. I uninstalled 11 and installed 1.8 with the commands below and set the server to use the downloaded forge 1.12.2 universal jar file and it started right up! Looks like we need to edit the Wiki for the CentOS install to check the java version. I am a little concerned over the 666 memory foot print though. :astonished:

yum erase java-11-openjdk
yum install java-1.8.0-openjdk

[root@mineos forge]# java -version
openjdk version “1.8.0_201”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_201-b09)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.201-b09, mixed mode)