Error when installing: "unable to find a medium containing a live file system."

Hello. I am unable to install the current mineos turnkey iso onto my hp laptop with a usb drive. I am using the latest version of the iso and I have made the drive bootable with rufus. The installation screen appears and runs a bunch of commands, (many of which return errors) and at the end I get the error message “unable to find a medium containing a live file system.” I am able to install the old versions just fine. I searched the error message on the internet and found most people reporting that you must use usb3.0 or 2.0. I was wondering what the difference is between the old and new versions of the os that would cause this issue on only the new one. Could a wrong setting in rufus be causing this, or should I get a usb3.0 usb drive and try it?

I’m not entirely sure what would cause the error you’re experiencing. I’ve heard reports of some successes with rufus, and I’ve heard more of failures (naturally, I’d hear about failures more).

Almost unanimously, my recommendation is instead trying out a known-working Linux distro, and just installing the MineOS webui to that system, rather than putting in troubleshooting effort to figure out why Turnkey doesn’t work as it should.

There isn’t much changed on the Turnkey installation to accommodate MineOS–and all the changes are documented and scripted for whatever OS you may instead choose.

In short, choose literally almost any Linux distro out there that you think you’d prefer and spin that up. Turnkey is debian, in case you want something that would share literally all the documentation I’ve written.

Take a look at -

Then, to get rid of the desktop environment (if you want), take a look at -

USB issues have been a thing across several distros in the past based upon my experience (years later now I’ve yet to encounter that myself in comparison to years before, unless it is a super highly stripped down OS or something where I might sometimes at times encounter that issue), sometimes having issues based upon the port you plug it into, the BIOS/UEFI of the machine being problematic or having it’s own issues, the OS itself just not playing very well with USB storage devices, the selected drive storage file system format, and/or even at times a mixture of multiple and etc.

On AMD FX based systems/platforms, one workaround I know is setting iommu to soft (software) or off, and/or having acpi/apic set to off, in order to get things to work properly, you can try any mixture of that and/or any other Linux kernel boot flags; your mileage will vary.