Edit and Remove Restore Points

How do you edit how many restore points are created with the time limit like you do when created the server. Also where are the restore points saved to because I have no idea where they are saved.

Thanks Yugie

You cannot (or should not) attempt to make use of the “restore points” since they’re not simple “copies” of the server files; however if you still wish to know where they’re located, they’re located in /var/games/minecraft/backups and “only” the webui can make use of the files. You should instead use archives which would be located in /var/games/minecraft/archives. When I say you shouldn’t make use of the “restore points” I mean like trying to copy files and all from it; you can use the feature in the UI perfectly fine however.

You also can’t set a limit on the amount of restore points or archives, however you can delete older versions/copies of archives/restore points with the “prune” and/or delete buttons in the UI. The feature to auto remove old versions isn’t there for the simple fact that it could potentially cause problems if it deletes the wrong things by mistake (or at least I think I remember reading something like that for someone else who I think asked for a similar feature awhile back).

1 Like

Extra information for posterity: restore points aren’t as straightforward as simple files on the filesystem you can/should just copy. Restore points use a linux tech called rdiff-backup, which is extra sophisticated version of Rsync made to make good use of incremental file storage based on changed files.

Put simply, all the files you’d see in /var/games/minecraft/backup/[servername] are all the most recent version. You wouldn’t just be able to pull out a previous backup from it by any conventional means. In case you’re curious how it works, check out the man page on [rdiff-backup].(rdiff-backup: Main Page)

So yes, backups can be used to pull out whatever file from whatever restore point you want, but no, it’s not something you should take lightly–and by lightly, I mean on your actual production server.

1 Like