Hey, @JayMontana36 here, it’s been awhile, I know.
So, anyways, straight to the point; the purpose of this topic: suggestions, feature requests, etc. for the next version(s) or variant(s) of my version of the MineOS Linux Distribution. Feel free to drop some.
Currently planned features include (but are not limited to):
- Graphical Uncomplicated Firewall (gufw) with local and remote administration profile presets
- Custom tweaked Linux kernel and system configuration for better responsiveness/performance
- Script(s) to easily toggle between commandline only and gui/desktop interface modes
Additional benefits include (but are not limited to):
- Support for newer hardware (released up to 2020) without the need to jump through hoops
- Less issues when booting from various storage media types (most common, USB for installation)
- Minimal (optional) lightweight desktop environment for ease of access and local administration
- Ability to more easily utilize wireless networking if you wish (although generally not recommended)
Updating the MineOS Web UI may not necessarily be mandatory post-installation
Currently acknowledged feature requests include:
32-bit variant for older 32-bit systems? (<=~2007 hardware?)
- [@TrueType,@banjo509] Java 11 instead/in-place of Java 8
Currently acknowledged “bugs” or “overlooks” within the 16.04 (old) version/variant:
- Bug [Will Not Fix]: Oracle Java 8 manual automatic installer script no longer functions.
- Bug: EFI/UEFI boot works, but installation fails (requires BIOS/compatibility mode)
~99% complete (public release/revision 1 based upon Ubuntu 20.04(.1)), attempting to figure out why the ubiquity (system) installer refuses to launch.
- Linux Kernel 5.4 LTS (Linux Kernel 5.9 crashed VirtualBox for whatever reason)
- OpenJDK (Java) 11
- Firewall (GUFW/UFW with 4 presets)
- Very light/minimalist/basic desktop gui (most system configuration/management is done via the local web browser “Pale Moon” (or a remote web browser if you enable remote admin in firewall))
- Scripts on desktop for updating MineOS and switching between commandline/desktop modes