Connecting to a wireless hidden network

I’m trying to get a laptop configured to connect to a hidden wireless network.
I have attempted to the steps on the Wiki site, but that didn’t work.
https://minecraft.codeemo.com/mineoswiki/index.php?title=Wireless_Networking

I am running the install from the (as far as I know) the latest ISO 64-bit image.

I have already performed:
apt-get install wireless-tools apt-get install wpasupplicant

When I run the command I get an error message:
# wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth1 -c/root/wpa.conf -B
It appears to get up, but I’m unable to access the network.
I configured for both DHCP and Static but with no luck.
Using DHCP and issuing the command:
ifup wlan0 up results in the following error:
udhcpc (v1.22.1) started Sending discover... Sending discover... Sending discover... /etc/udhcpc/default.script: Lease failed: No lease, failing Failed to bring up wlan0 Ingoring unknown interface up=up.

Is the solution on the Wiki still correct?
Is there any configuration files that needs to changed?

The wiki information is fine, but sometimes do not translate to every single machine because different hardware and installations might bring up your interface as eth0 or eth1 or en0p1…or any variety of different names.

In the end, the latest 64-bit image is: Debian Jessie, 64-bit. Any tutorial aimed at that will work, and you can (and at this point, should) use it instead.

Did you try the troubleshooting tips at the bottom of the wiki?
More spesifically:
If no IP address shows with ifconfig, check lspci to ensure the kernel recognizes your wireless device.

Your first action should be th ensure that turnkey actually has found and reckognised your wireless network card. If it hasn’t found your wireless network card, you’ll have to install the proper drivers first.

I definitely don’t recommend tooling around with the kernel. If the hardware is supported by Debian Jessie, great, but if it’s not, it is highly unlikely it will be a fun ride doing kernel rebuilds and dealing with the headaches that introduces.

I’d 100% of the time recommend finding a distro where it works out-of-box than to work with drivers/kernels…just speaking from experience for those who are interested in the Minecraft aspect, and not the kernel aspect. So yes, definitely check that the kernel supports the device, but jump ship to another distro if it doesn’t.

1 Like

The kernel recognizes the drivers, and it shows up as wlan0.
I adjusted the command to use that device where applicable, and ifconfig sees it just fine.
I’m even able to assign an IP address using the static configuration, but cannot get out of the machine.

It seems that wpa_supplicant is not connecting to the wireless when I have created the /root/wpa.conf file.