Can't Keep Up - Server configuration settings and custom Java flags

So just got my test environment up and running, works, but not well by any means. I want to ensure that the server is using both cores that I have setup on the environment, as well as the 4 GB allocated.

I can’t seem for the life of me to find where the custom java scripts setting is (which I could see when I was setting up the server).

So, where are the custom startup flags?

And then do the below flags make sense to anyone else?:

-XX:NewRatio=2 -XX:CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction=1 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=4096 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xnoclassgc -oss4M -ss4M -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=90 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2

The custom startup flags (java arguments) you’d use you’ll put into the server.config page, under java_tweaks. Copy pasting your line into there should be sufficient, but you’ll want to look further into whether or not those tweaks are going to be a) beneficial and b) applicable to your server and its hardware.

More often than not, you’ll find that there is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ to java tweaks and that the Oracle/OpenJDK defaults are the most tested, profiled, and universally useful configs.

If you’re getting the can’t keep up error check that your clock is right. Perhaps set it to sync. I think I remember having that issue and that being my fix. That was years ago now though.

1 Like