Can't join server from Internet

Hello !

I created my Minecraft Server with MineOS, on a VMWare Workstation virtual machine.
I used the preconfigured ISO.
Everything works fine in local, I can access my server locally with 192.168.1.18 which is VMWare host’s IP (Win7 Ultimate).
VM itself is running on 192.168.194.129 behind VMWare NAT but I forwarded ports 25565 for it to be accessible on the host.

I also forwarded port 25565 in my router configuration (Netgear VEVG2500-1NCGES) (Src/Dest 25565, IP 192.168.1.18).

Finally, I used HubDNS for people to connect on my server without having to write my IP but I also have a no-ip host (noxcraft.tklapp.com/noxcraft.ddns.net).

But it doesn’t work. I tried putting a server directly on host but it didn’t work either.
I came here to seek help ; if anyone has an idea.

Thanks.

Sky

Edit: I also checked firewall configuration, deactivated it, put my host in the DMZ, nothing worked.
If that helps, I may also add that Host is a portable PC that has Internet Connection Sharing activated (which means DHCP+NAT) in order to provide Internet to the computer that I’m currently using who has no wifi.

Let me see if I have an understanding of your config: you can access your server locally with 192.168.1.18, the computer which is a desktop and also has VMware installed.

On this machine, you can successfully connect to 192.168.194.xxx (note, this is a separate network segment than 192.168.1.xxx).

This is a byproduct of using NAT, rather than having a Bridged Network. The point is that NAT creates a new, virtual network that only the host machine itself could know of, as well as any other guest VMs. Other computers on 192.168.1.xxx, however, would have no access to it.

The solution is to check your VMware settings for bridging. This will allow VMware to simulate a real, hardware network adapter that gets its IP address issued directly from the router, which in turn is the value you would use for port forwarding. That should take care of the connectivity issues, but let us know if you have any further questions!

Hello Hexparrot.

I already tried Bridged Network but the VM couldn’t up interface eth0 nor eth1.
A schema of my network would be this:

Router (WAN : noxcraft.ddns.net, NAT, Eth0: 192.168.1.1)
=> Portable PC (Wifi: 192.168.1.18)
=> VMNet8 (NAT, 192.168.194.1)
=> Virtual Machine (eth0: 192.168.194.129)

When I’m using my desk computer (that I’m currently using), I get my internet connection from my Portable PC through ICS (Portable PC Eth0 : 192.168.137.1 => Desk PC Eth0 : 192.168.137.236).

I edited VMNet 8 interface to port forward 25565 from PPC to VM.
I edited my router configuration to port forward 25565 from WAN to PPC.
So, theorically, I can access my VM from WAN through port 25565 (I think ^^).
Port 25565 seem opened from internet.

Otherwise, do you have any idea how to configure VMWare in Bridged Mode ? Because I didn’t succeed in doing it and it is the only thing that is left for me to test.

Ty for your help.

Sky.

Edit: Tried Bridged Mode again, DHCP doesn’t succeed in giving me an IP and configuring a Static IP into the same network (192.168.1.X) isn’t working either.

It’s all a bit hard to grasp on my end with Internet Connection Sharing–why is ICS required if you already have a router which could dole out IP addresses?

Also, for it being a ‘portable pc’, it is functionally no different from a normal desktop, correct? If so, again I’m confused on the use of ICS.

The expected way I’d see this working is:

Router: 192.168.1.1
Portable PC: Wifi, 192.168.1.18
VMWorkstation: Bridged, 192.168.1.20 (for example)

There wouldn’t be a requirement, for example, for any other systems in play (192.168.194.1 wouldn’t need to exist). At least that’s my most-familiar configuration, where each virtual machine it itself issued an ip from the router’s range itself.

Do you have a need for VMWare over alternatives? I’m not sure if your “VMNet8” implies you’re using some suite I’m not familiar with, but Oracle Virtualbox, VMware Player, Virtual PC and Parallels Desktop all can be configured without the creation of additional, independent networks, all which would be issued via DHCP, whether Wifi or ethernet.

I’ll think on this more.

Hey !
I’m using my Portable PC with ICS because my Desk PC doesn’t have Wi-Fi. So I’m using my PPC (which has Wi-Fi) as a HUB to connect both with Ethernet, sharing connection with ICS.

VMNet 0/1/8 are networks automatically created with VM Workstation.
One is for Auto-Bridging / the other is Host-Only and the last one is a NAT (the one I’m using).

I perfectly understand your idea of a simple network but it doesn’t seem to work with Bridged so I think I’ll get the same problems with another virtualisation software (I’m gonna try anyway).

I already tried to put a Minecraft server on the host (PortablePC), without the use of MineOS / a VM / a complicated Network, and even that doesn’t work.
(Router with 25565 to PPC forwarded, only two hops…)

I think that–as a server–you’d be doing your in-game community a big disservice by having so many intermediaries. While I understand that money is often a prohibitive factor, having two machines (one idle, as a hub, one actually doing the serving) is rather excessive.

In other words, $9.00 of a wifi adapter will not only allow you to immediately connect to wifi with your desktop pc–eliminating one whole hop and a bit of electricity–it also greatly simplifies your network by avoiding the rare configuration responsible for the issue in the first place (having a separate 192.168.194.x network).

I have confidence that with enough persistence you’ll be able to manage this, though the time may exceed the $9 alternative.

Hello.
Even if my network is somehow complexe, I know that I could simplify it. Buying a wifi adapter is in my future plans.
Although I think that my network complexity isn’t the reason I have this issue, but couldn’t figure the cause of this behaviour even with extended time spent on Wireshark / Network tools / analysis…

I checked everything, and, in theory, everything is right.
Well, I think I’m gonna put a Freelan/Hamachi server on my VM and my friends will have a little more trouble connecting to my server :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help anyway. I’ll keep you in touch in case I solve this issue.

See you.

Sky

It’s a bit of an old topic, but still I would like to answer this question. Or at least try. :smile:

I think the root cause of your issue is that your are trying to NAT over NAT.
To my understanding it’s not possible to NAT over NAT.

If I understand you correctly you are running a server via WIFI?
I would NOT recommend running any type of server on WIFI. Wifi is relatively slow in comparison to a Wired network and you have a lot more errors on your TCP/IP stack if you are using WIFI.
Keep in mind that every user connecting to you server, needs a certain amount of bandwidth. So WIFI can have a severe impact on the number of users you can host.

I’m running on a normal computer, connected using a gig,ethernet and for virtualization I use Oracle’s Virtualbox.
The network is configured for NAT, my router is configured to port forward, not NAT.
Therefore there is only one NAT :slight_smile:

I love to bump old threads too…

All good info on getting a VM up and running. Now if I may, I’d like to ask if your intention is to run your VM on the same machine as you are going to run the MC client? i.e. will you be hosting and playing on the same bare metal? I highly recommend using separate bare metal to host MineOS. Any old piece of crap computer with 64-bit and 4 GB of RAM can be a flawless host if you put MineOS directly on the bare metal. I bought a refurbished HP business machine from a local computer store. I immediately threw away the windows7 installation media, and put Will’s FreeBSD distro on it. I paid about $100 for mine. The installation was straight-forward. The effort for network configuration was non-existent, and my machine can be powered up and down independently of my client machine. Most importantly, there is no competition for resources from the client app. I feel that when you do this you will truly see the value of MineOS.

I use MineOS to run a BungeeCord Network of spigot servers. Its beautiful, with very little effort I can bring up new servers to host different minigames. Currently I have an adventure map for a lobby, with portals to a creative server, SMP, and Hunger Games.

I’m in North America, half of my players are in the UK. I know nothing about FreeBSD, and therefore have not ‘tuned’ it in way shape of form. My UK players regularly tell me how much they love my server because it has NO LAG. This was not how they felt when I ran the VM on the same bare metal as my client. The client is dog slow, and will impact your server performance if you don’t separate it on another machine.