Can't access server even after port forward

Hi everyone, so I instally MineOS on an old laptop I had (intel core 2 duo, 4gb ram, 120gb ssd, mobile Intel ® 4 Series Express Chipset Family gpu) I have no problems joining it with the localhost, but if I test the public ip on the same computer I use to run minecraft or on a friend’s computer it doesn’t work

sounds like port forward hasnt been setup in your router.

I am guessin gyou mean LAN here. please use a service like “whatismyip.com” to check that you are using you external IP, and not your interlan IP when trying to access externaly.

Please also check that you have configured your internet router to port forward your connection from external address to internal (LAN) address.

By that I meant that if I try to connect to the server on my connection with the external IP it says it’s offline
PS.
Writing this part about 10 minutes after the part above, I was checking the external IP again via the “curl ipinfo.io/ip” on the machine running MineOS and apparently I didn’t realize the IP changed, which I’m happy it did, because if it works now then my theory on why it wasn’t working was correct, because until yesterday the IP was 2.40.160.139 which was identical to the IP on my other laptop to which I play Minecraft on, and my theory was that due to the same ip even after port forward it would try to connect me to the wrong machine give me a couple minutes to test my theory

1 Like

Also am I supposed to Port forward the 192.168.1.8 (web ui ip) or the public ip?

You have to port forward from the public IP to the WebUI IP.

For an explanation of how NAT and port forwarding work, and why we need it see this answer on this thread:

Port forward is setup, I’ve checked it multiple times yesterday when trying to fix this http://imgur.com/a/aWUC2UL also I’ve noticed that both the laptop I play on and the laptop I installed mineos on give me the same IP, is that normal?

Nope, they need to be on separate IP adresses

Well how do I fix it then?

Turnkey linux is a stripped down and streamlined debian linux. Debian and Ubuntu shares a lot of codebase, and thus shares a lot of its commands. . This mean any online howto about changing or setting a static IP will work:

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-setup-a-static-ip-address-on-debian-linux

1 Like

When I try to access /etc/network/interfaces.d/* it says “no such file or directory”

Turns out I have a dynamic IP from the ISP so regardless of what I put, whenever the router reboots or the wifi goes down for a bit the public IP changes

Its not if your wifi goes down, its only if you lose access to the internet portion of your ISP connection.
Wifi is usually used to described your internal network access without wires.
That is why I use a dynamic DNS service so that if/when my ip changes, it will update within about 10 minutes. Noip and DynDNS are ones I have some experience with.