Backup (restore) not executed

Hi there! New user here. I have tried finding the answer to my issue, but have not yet been able to fix it, so I’ll try with my own post.

I have been using MineOS for quite some time, but just recently the backups stopped working.

I have updated the WebUI (5670b46), tried chowning - deleting - and creating the backup directory manually, but to no avail.

Here is the response in the log when executing the restore command:

{"level":"info","message":"[Huset] 192.168.1.19 issued command : \"backup\"","timestamp":"2020-09-16T06:51:15.180Z"}
{"level":"info","message":"[Huset] received request \"backup\"","timestamp":"2020-09-16T06:51:15.181Z"}
{"command":"backup","uuid":"03d2aac0-f7e9-11ea-b9aa- 
2510994a0752","time_initiated":1600239075180,"success":false,"err":1,"time_resolved":16002390754 
51,"level":"error","message":"[Huset] command \"backup\" errored out:","timestamp":"2020-0916T06:51:15.452Z"}

Thankful for any help I can get! :slight_smile:

Hey there @lilltonka

Have had the same trouble before though I don’t really know what’s causing it I know it does help to sometimes try it a couple times in a larger time span. Also makes sure that the server is off (don’t know if it matters but it should save all when the server is shutdown. If it still doesn’t backup make sure you have enough space to make another backup. I have had gigantic problems with storage not so long ago.
I hope my experience with mineOS could have been of any help.
With a friendly greetings
Ayrtondutchman

Thanks @ayrtondutchman for the answer!

I forgot to mention I actually tried both turning off the server and executing the backup. I however did try it again just now, and it still fails. Bummer!

It should not be a space issue as far as I can see, if not the system itself limits the amount of space used in some way, however unlikely.

I’m guessing it is something with permissions. I still have a hard time with linux permissions…

Do you have it installed on a Virtualbox? You should also be able to directly see the storage usage when Locked in as any account on the terminal (through putty or directly on the machine)

Yes, it’s a virtual machine in Proxmox. I checked also; 50+ gb free.

Is this your own installation?

Can you confirm that rdiff-backup, the backup/restore utility is installed on your system?

$ rdiff-backup

Hi @hexparrot, and thanks for answering!

Yes, it is my own installation (have a Dell Poweredge in the basement…) and rdiff-backup is available and the latest version.

Bumping this issue. I have tried looking around other threads with similar issue, but I have still not yet found out a solution. The system is also quite slow, not sure if it is related. Anyone got an idea what to look for? The logs say nothing more than the initial one i added. Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Yea, I think it might have to do with the speed of the machine and maybe even the size of the world. since my world currently is a few gigabytes big already. Also currently having trouble reaching the MineOS console.

(whoops I only saw it now a bit late)

I thought I would give an update on this issue.

After having some time off from Minecraft I started up the old server in a newly created VM with the Buster-version of MineOS. I tested out the snapshot-system once again and to my surprise it still did not work.

After having tested the methods of removing backup folders, chowning and updating the web-ui I was beginning to give up until i tested the manual way of using rdiff-backup. That gave me an error that told me that it could not restore the snapshot, which I thought was odd as I could not make one from the start.

After looking around on the internet I noticed someone (not in this forum) that mentioned the “rdiff-backup-data”-folder in the server folder.

I thought that it might be related to that I have had this server for quite some time and that folder might be obsolete and “in the way”. I therefore removed the folder and tried making a snapshot.

It worked!

So. If someone is experiencing problems that might not be covered in any other solutions, this might be your solution!

Thanks to everyone who tried helping me out!

1 Like