I was just wondering how I could enable auto reboot after a power failure for my server (if it can even be done). My server is a old laptop that sits on a high shelf with the display closed and after the power goes out it’s kinda a pain to get up there and turn it back on.
Though this is not MineOS-specific issue at all, I would recommend following:
- Check out laptop’s BIOS (press F2 or Del after power-on or somehow else - check your manual, if any) for power options like behaviour after power loss, but this is unlikely to find such features on laptop.
- Check if laptop can be powered on using Wake-On-LAN (BIOS settings again and software on another PC) - this option seems to work only if computer was powered off properly - so look for Linux software that will shut down laptop on low battery.
- This is like mission impossible - you can build a device, like a piston, that will press power button on your laptop after power is restored)))
- Consider replacing laptop with Mini-ITX case, for example, its more likely to have Power-On after failure feature on Mini-ITX motherboards.
- Connect laptop to a big UPS - if power outages do not last more than a day )))
- Replace laptop’s battery - if power outages do not last more than a hour )))
Anyways, laptops are not supposed to be used as servers at all.