Ability to 'Download Archive' from MineOS UI

Hi all,

Are there any plans to add the ability to download archives from within the UI? Would fit in nicely to:

Archives > [Archive File] > Actions > *Download Archive*

I’ve searched around for plans/discussion on implementing this, but didn’t see anything, so I’m posting here. I’m considering developing this functionality via GitHub, but wanted to see if this kind of contribution would be welcomed first.

I’m an intermediate developer overall, and am interested in this project to further my learning/usage of Node.js

Thanks!

edit: I moved this post from ‘UI’ to ‘Feature Request’ as it felt more appropriate here

Had a further idea - the filename itself could also be a clickable link:

%servername%_YYYY-MM-DD_HH:mm:SS.tgz

I have setup the infrastructure for the ‘Download Archive’ infrastructure and pushed the changes to GitHub. It’s my first commit ever on GitHub, so testing that I get it right before I implement it fully (and push the full implementation, of course.)

As you’re developing this, when you’re looking for modules that will help you transfer files to the client (browser), look for any information about memory (RAM) impact, to see whether or not the entire file has to be loaded into memory before being transmitted–since archives vary from a few dozen megabytes to a few hundred (and beyond!), it’s critical to know that downloading the archive won’t be a ramsink and adversely affect the host performance (and introduce swapping).

As you’re developing this, when you’re looking for modules that will help you transfer files to the client (browser), look for any information about memory (RAM) impact

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll keep that a priority.

Did I submit the ‘infrastructure’ commit’s pull request to you correctly on GitHub? It’s my first time working this way, just want to ensure I have the basics covered.

I do see the pull request, yes. So the normal workflow will be for you to make your commits, test, then push, (then it gets pulled in).

So I’ll be keeping tabs on your commits and see if there’s any insight or conventions I’ve created that you want to take into consideration, and hopefully this turns into a completed pull soon.

Excellent, thank you. Is this the best venue to discuss specifics or should I/we use GitHub?

This should be just fine here.