A funny thing happened on the way to my MineOS WebUI

player interaction needs “allow query = true” in the server.properties file to work.

When you strip out the actual world content–that is, the files in the directories /world/ plus the directories that are also created because of your level-name, plus the files within /backup/[server-name/ and /archive/server-name, the file at the end should be on the order a few dozen megabytes at most.

What I want with /var/games/minecraft isn’t the actual content (which isn’t at all likely the problem), but instead a clear picture of the directories that exist (hence the server mineos thinks exists) and the operable files for the server.

So in this example, you’d keep:

/var/games/minecraft/backup/myserver
/var/games/minecraft/archive/myserver
/var/games/minecraft/servers/myserver/logs
/var/games/minecraft/servers/myserver/logs/latest.log
/var/games/minecraft/servers/myserver/plugins
/var/games/minecraft/servers/myserver/server.properties

but you’d remove:

/var/games/minecraft/backup/myserver/[somefile]
/var/games/minecraft/backup/myserver/[somefile]
/var/games/minecraft/archive/myserver/[somefile.tar.gz]
/var/games/minecraft/servers/myservers/world/[allthese files]
/var/games/minecraft/servers/myservers/someotherworldnamethathasworldfiles

This isn’t an exhaustive list, but the general idea is I want your general directory structure, and relevant files to start the server, but pretty much no generated content of backups/archives.

1 Like

I am split .rar the 2.7gb OVA, it is a new VM w/ imported archive old MineOS commit. Tested and freezes in 10-15 minutes. Still need to u/l someplace.

I intend to do this and u/l as well, taking longer than I expected. Sorry.

Dropbox? (http:www.dropbox.com)
Onedrive? (https://onedrive.live.com)

Can I assume to remove the mods? Of course I can leave the mods if required.

Or might just end up u/l one with and one without mods and let you guys decide what to d/l.

I am working on it right now.

EDIT: Laptop crashed during u/l, starting all over.

First file, no mods per hexparrot, will EDIT with 4 more, anyone can play: https://fono.jp/uploader/download/825

File2, w/ mods per hexparrot. these are just server files of not much use to most but feel free to play. The 3 OVA files soon.

https://fono.jp/uploader/download/826

File3-4-5 Git a clue, git a grip or git out of the way. My standard server settings:

VM: Version 11
CPU: Virtual Socket 2, Cores Per Socket 1, Total Number of Cores: 2 (Should be 1 for Minecraft.)
Memory: 5gb
NICs: 2each
SCSI Controller: VMware Paravirtual
Disk: Thin Provisioned
Virtual Device Node: SCSI (0:0)
Data Store ISO: mineos-node-jessie-x64.iso
MineOS Login & PW: ‘mc’ or ‘root’ at console - ‘Test4iMelsom’ without the ‘’
MineOS Commit:0e45bet (do not update or you can not replicate).

As above, the ‘Underscore’ is an issue. remove that issue and (fireworm) becomes an issue.

You guys are smarter than me but I can say my current commit has settled a lot of issues. Thanks.

Part 1: https://fono.jp/uploader/download/827
Part 2: https://fono.jp/uploader/download/828
Part 3: https://fono.jp/uploader/download/829

I’m testing your VM now. My vmbox installation seems to dislike the ramdisk and hangs at “Loading initial ramdisk”. I’ll let it run for a while to see if it recovers and gets past that point.

I usually do not run my Ubuntu-servers without ramdisk tough.

Thanks for the update. I did not know about ramdisk and have no clue.

I could export an OVF or if instructed, might be able to .iso if OVA did not load.

I can not stop gushing about how wonderful MineOS is. It just never stops, for example:

Just today I had my girls server up for over 30 hours and they are little miners, just a lot of changes going on. Well, I made back-ups and archives, as you all should do and with my youngest (4yo) playing, the power goes out! A breaker tripped.

As anyone who admins a server knows, this is death. Just the worst. How many hours to get it all back? Nightmare.

Not so. Thanks to hexparrot. Git the power back up and discover the server data corrupted? No worries, no drama. Click 'Restore Points" and select the last restore point. WOW!

Hours saved! I can just not thank hexparrot enough for all his hard free work on this project of his over the past several years.

Yes, that is what I am saying.Thank you hexparrot!. You never gave up, you never let it go, you never stopped from your goal of making the best you could.

Gushing is an understatement. I am actually thankful for once.

The Green Malishi with the Two Pronged Crown CHEERS you. Have an adult beverage on me, please.

EDIT: I suppose I should mention that I have a UPS hooked up to my server. Still, when I walk over and shut off the power the UPS takes over. When the breaker goes (I think due to heat, dunno), the UPS never takes over and data always goes corrupted. A never ending circle of pissed off.

2 Likes

Nope, I am not getting past “loading Ramdisk”. I have tried tweaking most of the settings I can, so I am stumped for now.

As you have a working version running now, even though it’s not latest version of everything, I’d leave it at that :slight_smile:

And you have supplied @Hexparrot with what he requested, so he may have some more bones to fill out the mystery bug.

Peddling my tricycle as fast as I can :wink:

1 Like

Ok.
I tinkered around with my VMbox settings, and the details around the VM-import from you, and got it running.

Only problem:
So far it is stable…
(test here: https://mineserv.no:8443)

Ok:
this is the VMbox settings I used that differed from the imported settings:
OS-type: None defined. I set : Debian (64bit)

System settings:
Under motherboard settings: Added Hardware clock in UTC time
Under Processor: Deaktivated PAE/NX
Under display: Added Remote display.
Under Storage: one controller with attached floppy drive.
Under Network: Removed 1 adapter.

I’ll let the VM rund for a while to see if the error pops up, and the WebUI crashes.

Other than that:
You really ought to run your minecraft servers in online mode (in server.properties: online.mode = true). This setting do not controll if your server is online (available on the internet) or not. It controls if your users are legal (have a mojang account) or not. If it is set to false, your server accept everyone by only cheking their username against the whitelist (if you have it active). While this means that hacked or pirated versions of minecraft may connect, it ALSO means that anyone can use any username and pretend to be anyone. If it is set to online-mode every user is chekked against their Mojang account, and the usernames remains safe and personal (unless somebody guesses their Mojang password).

Oh, and by the way: You won’t be able to connect to your minecraft server in the test I am running with any minecraft client, since I only mapped up the WebUI port ;D

Great news!

Oops, the logs should all show the issues I was having but the commit was not upgraded when I did it so if by chance you did upgrade the interface it could have solved the isse.

Or it could be a Dell server thing. In another thread a guy with a Dell also can not reach his 8443 webui either, he seems to be getting the same error I had and he is using an old commit. Or neither, but I would expect you to see the ‘underscore’ error documented above? Or even a VMware thing so hard to tell.

One thing is that I find I want to go back to an old commit and don’t know how to do it, all my old back up are not of the turnkey, only the server world itself.

So it is use the commit that shipped with the .iso and hope the error shows (like the one I gave you), because the error seems to resolve after the newest commit. No way I can tell what the issue was after that, lol.

Thanks for your time and effort and good luck!.

Still online as I write.

You are correct, my girls both use Team Extreme clients and do not have any mojang accounts for PC. I may let them when older, right now they don’t need to be running around the PC version w/ 20-30yr old guys pretending to be 10yo. They play in multiplayer with each other together on my server behind two hardware firewalls. One day I may do something like your mineserv.no accout and let others on. I would then look at the online=true setting at that time. Thanks for the advice.

Btw, They play single player on PS4 and have accounts on that and can play in the same world alone together with it, so technically I have payed for use of minecraft, but not correctly for the PC.

1 Like

Nope, no updates on commit or other changes than the ones i listed above to get it up and running. I did not run into the underscore error either (which is as it should, since underscore really should not matter, i have a few servers with underscore in the names that work fine).

I think this may be a virtual machine / VMware thing, since I had to tweak a few settings to get it running. The biggest difference is after all that I now run your VMware image in a virtualbox virtual machine (https://www.virtualbox.org/). Two different Virtual machines.

And the PAE-thing. I had lots of trouble with that one when I started.

This may be significant but unsure if it would be worth the effort to resolve. It would also be helpful if other VMware users were the ones reporting the ‘fireworm’ issue.

(It was as if the server was trying to write something, found it couln’t locate it and just gave up reporting some fireworm issue. Still unsure what program would generate that error, nice if it could be traced back to VMware.)

PAE-thing probably would have stumped me :wink:

Always a pleasure.

tNt

If you disable PAE/NX in your VM, do the error persist?

PAE/NX works by adding registers to 32bit memory handling so that it can adress a larger memory area than 4GB. (see: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2). It might be that the virtual host tries to write to PAE defined memory areas that do not exist.

With more time I will follow up, first blush I am not sure I have seen any PAE/NX/SSE2 and no win8.1.

There is a setting I use, it is thick provisioned, lazy provisioned and thin provisioned I thought they had to do with how it writes to the hard drive. I have been using thin provisioned as my SSD supports it, however since we are talking about write errors, I wonder?

Thanks!