User Error/Bug Related to Restore Point Caused Data Loss?

correct, FTB and heavily modded (some over 200 mods depending on version of mc) servers. everything making too many back ups.

so if everything goes it to those folders only from MineOS, then using the save-all set to every 60 minutes is the same as pressing the ‘create a new restore point’ button every 60 minutes. correct?

and on top: [quote=“JamesPearson, post:14, topic:1788”]
0 */1 * * *

and I’m using the ‘Command to run’:

save-all then create archive
[/quote]

anyway, when i do a restore from my restore archives i do need to reboot the mc server for it to take effect.

thanks again!

tNt

No.
Save-all takes all the files and changes the minecraft server has in memory, and writes it down in the world directory in the server directory. Save-all is a minecraft command. you can actually use it ingame (if your minecraft user has the apropriate rights on your minecraft server) by opening the minecraft chat and write /save-all

Pressing the “create new restore point” takes a look at all the files in your minecraft server directory, and copies out all new and changed files in the server directory and all its sub dirs.

BUT:
It is possible the “create restore point” fires off a save all to get access to files stored in memory by getting minecraft to write them to disc. This means that "create restore point"do two commands: 1. save all. 2. create new restore point.

The important thing is:
Do not confuse save all with creating restore points.
Using save all do not create a restore point, creating a restore point may force a save all…

Setting the save-all to every 60 minutes means that you make sure that changes to the servers world files are saved to disk every 60 seconds.

To have a restore point every 60 minutes you must use a cron job.

1 Like

all important distinctions and makes the point JamesPearson brings up originally.

this is all not documented very well and perhaps should be?

especially where an archive might be better than a restore or visa versa and when setting “Minutes between committing world to disk via ‘save-all’ (empty to disable)” is better than either, or not. better to use a cron job here or there, etc.

also, when and where user mc is used and why not to use root etc, but you need to use root for this or that, yada, yada.

very best regards,

tNt

All available documentation for MineOS is mostly collected here: MineOS | mineos-node.

There is also quite a lot of information stored in this forum, and in the MineOS git hub.

Is MineOS documented good enough? Probably not.
Then again consider this:
@Hexparrot develops MineOS alone, for non profit, on his spare time, while having salrygiving work and a family. MineOS is not developed by a proffessional team in a corporation that must have a profit. The only monetary compensation he get is if anyone uses the donate button to give him a small thanks for his work.

He still finds time to fix bugs and errors that pop up, and keep an eye on this forum answering questions and helping out, while also developing the next gen MineOS. I find this quite impressive, and are willing to ignore the fact that he had to put documentation quite far down his list of priorities, especially since he answers most, if not all, quiestions about how things work here, quite fast.

That is also why some of us try our best to help with what we know and has learned, to take some of the preassure off. We often get things wrong, but he also corrects us, and we slowly learn more, to be able to help others better the next time. All of us have our specialities (I wouldn’t dream of contradicting you on FTB for example, as I find that beast huge, lumbering and uncontrollable), and do our best to help out, everyone for free on our spare time.

Maybe @hexparrot could open up his Wiki so that those he trust can get access and start documenting things that get asked here? That is entirely up to him. For now he has ben content having the wiki as an installation and basic use guide. This is, when all is said and done, his child. We are just lucky to be allowed to play with it.

1 Like

(oh, and @JamesPearson: It seems your original post where hijacked by this discussion:D Sorry about that. I’ll try to wind it down, or at least start a new thread if it continues)

@iMelsom @tNt I appreciate the additions to this discussion as it is making everything much clearer to me! Thanks for all your time and support! I’m restarting the server to kick the update into action now and then creating a new server (based from an archive) using the ‘mc’ user :slight_smile:

Cheers! :relieved:

1 Like