[SOLVED] Server not starting after pressing start

I am unable to start any server on my MineOS instance. After creating a server and selecting the profile and jar file and accepting the EULA, I cannot start the server. Not via the EULA window nor via the normal start button.

I have made sure the IPtables are there.

###iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
target prot opt source destination
ACCEPT all – anywhere anywhere
ACCEPT tcp – anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ftp
ACCEPT tcp – anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ssh
ACCEPT tcp – anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:http
ACCEPT tcp – anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:netbios-ssn
ACCEPT tcp – anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:https
ACCEPT tcp – anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:microsoft-ds
ACCEPT tcp – anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:4242
ACCEPT tcp – anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:8443
ACCEPT tcp – anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:12320
ACCEPT tcp – anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:12321
ACCEPT tcp – anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:25565
ACCEPT tcp – anywhere anywhere tcp spt:ftp state ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT tcp – anywhere anywhere tcp spt:ftp-data state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT tcp – anywhere anywhere tcp spts:1024:65535 dpts:35000:40000 state ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT udp – anywhere anywhere udp dpt:netbios-ns
ACCEPT udp – anywhere anywhere udp dpt:netbios-dgm
ACCEPT udp – anywhere anywhere udp dpt:snmp
ACCEPT udp – anywhere anywhere udp dpt:mdns
ACCEPT udp – anywhere anywhere udp dpt:12321
ACCEPT all – anywhere anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:ftp state NEW,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:ftp-data state ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp spts:1024:65535 dpts:35000:40000 state RELATED,ESTABLISHED

As you can see, the rule is definitely there.

###Exerpt of mineos.log
{“level”:“info”,“message”:"[test2] 192.168.1.111 issued command : “start”",“timestamp”:“2016-05-02T09:06:07.657Z”}
{“level”:“info”,“message”:"[test2] received request “start”",“timestamp”:“2016-05-02T09:06:07.658Z”}

The request does come through, but it it is not starting the server. There is nothing more in the log (or even the auth log) that is of interest.

I checked for any java running (ps aux | grep java) but none is running.

Turns out the jar file downloaded was corrupt. After replacing the jar file with a working copy, it works.

1 Like

How did you go about replacing the .jar file? I’ve been having the same problem.

By re-downloading either the same jar, or a new/fresh jar; simple as that.

I can only get vanilla Minecraft to work, all other .jar do nothing when I hit start,

It is somewhat hard for us to help with this issue without some information about witch version of the different minecraft versions you are trying to start, and without access to your logs.

Most other versions of minecraft servers (bukkit, spigot, pocketmine/imagicalmine, forge…) have dependecies of their own that need to be fullfiled before starting. The logs provide us wiht the information as to what is happening when you try to start a server. That is why we need the information requested.

To put it simply:
MineOS will run most any server, as long as it comes in a .jar or .phar package, and dependencies for PHP or Java is met. If you can get vanilla to work, all other should also work, ass long as all other dependencies of the server is met.This includes actually having the right version of the server…

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. I am new to MineOS, and Minecraft servers in general. I’d like to get Feed the Beast, imagicalmine or whichever Pocket Minecraft server is best. How do I go about accessing the logs?

For the logs you need to SSH into the server. They are placed in the following location:

MineOS system log:
/var/logs/mineos.log

Minecraft server logs:
/var/games/minecraft/servers/Servername/logs/latest.log

Minecraft Pocketmine-style server logs:
/var/games/minecraft/servers/Servername/Server.log

FTB (Feed The Beast) type servers are notoriously fickly to set up. Here is @hexparrot’s post on the topic: Install FTB Infinity 1.7 server for noobs

Pocketmine type servers (as Imagicalmine is one of) needs PHP to run. The current available PHP-profiles in the WebUI is to old, so you have to download a newer version manually to your server, and extract them in the correct location. You can find the latest PHP binaries here: https://bintray.com/pocketmine/PocketMine/Unix-PHP-Binaries/view#files

A warning about pocketmine:
For Minecraft Pocket Edition there exists no official Mojang Server software. This means that each time Mojang updates their client your server is very likely to get outdated. And since the Pocket Edition clients cannot be (easily) downgraded again, you need to upgrade the server. There most likely will not be an available server through the WebUI profile system, so you have to find the phar file manually, and install it manually.

If you are new to minecraft and servers I would reccommend you to use vanilla untill you start getting experience. After that I would upgrade to Bukkit /spigot, since these servers do not need a modified client, and can be upgraded to by simply using a new .jar.

You also need to know linux commands. There is absolutely no way out of that. If ou are new to linux you can find a great tutorial here: http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

1 Like

Oh, and I didn’t add a link to the current Imagicalmine download since they are having problems for the time being. (Problems as in an internal quarrel, an admin taking unwaranted rights and sabotaging their GIT-hub, their forum being down, and the link to their latest version being dead)…

The latest releases from pocketmine is here:

Buuut this one is to old all ready, it is for 1.14.1, and the current pocket edition is 1.14.2

They have commits that are newer, but then you also have to learn ho to get their commit package compiled to a .phar…

Wow this seems like a lot more trouble then I thought. I may just skip worrying about Minecraft Pocket Edition and get my friend to look into a Feed the Beast server as he was wanting it. I’ll be happy running vanilla. Thanks again for the quick reply.

1 Like

I may come across like a little negative on you here. We have loads of great tutorials and walkthroughs of getting the different servers running. It is a great learning experience doing so, both failing to get them running, and finally to get them up (that feeling is amazing!!).

I only wanted to advice you that if you are new to minecraft, minecraft servers, Mineos and linux: Start simple and learn the basic first, then dive into the harder things.

Good luck!

2 Likes