Server (turnkey) keeps crashing

I post the files etc. in a reply on this subject, not as a reply on your reply.

I think I found the problem, the server is shutting down because of overheating.
But looking at # top (linux command-line), i notice that one of my MC servers is taking up 100% of the cpu, at all times. The top shows sometimes around 192% (is this wrong? Or maybe becuase of dual core?)…

The using the # sensors, I see the temp is going up for the 2 cores. If it reaches 100C, it will shutdown (off course).

So now the question, should I remove the MC server? Or can I set some property so it will not take 100% of my CPU???

Your answer is there.

The next is what to do?

Answer: Use the tools that MineOS gives you. Meaning make back ups of your problem server and then delete it. Create or import that data to a new server and see if that resolves the issue.

If the same issue is imported and reproduced then come back here and report from the logs what is really going on.

Good Luck!

Forgot to mention: Upgrade to java 8 if you are stuck on java 7.

That may help.

Best regards,

tNt

@tNt:
Neither of those really answers his problem.

Overheating is in most cases a hardware problem, more spesifically fan or cooling problem. Laptops are prone to geting dust and hair in the fans and ducts that cool CPU and GPU. When enough dust and / or hair has acumulated cooling is no longer sufficient and you get overheating problems. There is no software solution to that problem. There is a hardware sollution: Open it up and clear out all the forreign bodies in the cooling system.

In the few cases it is a software problem, it is most often due to overclocking or faulty drivers.

Solving the processor load problem we have to look at what type of server you are running, and (if any) what mods or plugins you are running. I have mostly only heard about mappiing or world creation plugs or mods that use a lot of CPU, since they read or create a lot of world. Disabling those type of plugs would ease the load.

Also comparing at the number of minecraft servers you are running, the number of users you serve, and the size of you worlds, to your physical hardware will give us a hint for possible CPU issues.

Remember:
A laptop is not designed to be a server, and do not have server-type hardware inside. There is a reason server hardware is huge and clunky, or noisy as hell, they need a lot of power and a lot of cooling to ensure that they have enough resources to do the job they are set to do. A laptop is designed (depending on the type of laptop) for gaming, multidmedia- and office work. Neither of these are constant load type of tasks with demands for uptime.

2 Likes

@iMelsom, Exactly correct.

AKA: “Wherever you go, there you are.”

Hugs and kisses :wink:

tNt

(Do credits need be given? I thought everybody knew already.)

whispers Buckaroo Banzai, lol

Hi, sorry to tell you this, but I installed MineOS on a new Acer Veriton L840G with 4gb memory, backupped the 3 servers i had, restored it, and after starting one of the servers, the cpu is back to 175% and above according to # top (commandline linux). And looking at # sensors, the cpu temperature starts from about 57 C running up to 95C in a couple of minutes. When I kill the MC server, is starts cooling down again. When I leave it running, the server shutsdown itself.

So in this rare case it is the one MC server that is the problem. I deleted the server, setup a new (empty) one, and now running 3 mc servers without any problem. They all take about 5-10 % of the CPU, and the temperature stays around 57-60C.

If you had the foresight to save and keep the ‘world’ folder or whatever you did name it, you can now directly u/l that folder into your new server that is not overheating and it would be like you would have not lost that server at all.

Good Luck!

Edit: Forgot to mention you would need to set up the same environment for example: the same jar file and/ the same mods or add ons that that server used before.

Thanx, i did not know that, will do this as soon as I have the time. Will respond here with the outcome.

Pfff, server keeps crashing, no also if nothing is going on, 3 MC servers running, no users on it. Fresh installation of MineOS. On Acer Veriton L480G with 4GB memory. Just updated the bios…

I started a Putty session, and looked at the # Sensors information, but no device is going near the critical temperature point. But suddenly, the Putty session is showing many lines telling me something is overheating.
Quickly openen another Putty session, and captured the output of # Sensors:

root@mineos ~# sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:       +127.0 C  (crit = +110.0 C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +76.0 C  (high = +78.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
Core 1:       +72.0 C  (high = +78.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

it8720-isa-0a10
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0:          +1.25 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
in1:          +3.01 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
in2:          +1.49 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
+5V:          +2.99 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
in4:          +2.98 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
in5:          +1.10 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
in6:          +3.31 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
5VSB:         +2.98 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
Vbat:         +3.28 V
fan1:        2860 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan2:        3199 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan3:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
temp1:        +67.0 C  (low  = +127.0 C, high = +80.0 C)  sensor = thermal diode
temp2:        +54.0 C  (low  =  -1.0 C, high = +127.0 C)  sensor = thermistor
temp3:        +66.0 C  (low  =  -1.0 C, high = +127.0 C)  sensor = Intel PECI
intrusion0:  ALARM

Looking at this, it seems to be the ‘Adapter: Virtual device’ that is overheating, not the CPU. But what is the Virtual Device???

I’m not sure what temp1 is, but it’s not really your only concern. Here you can see that with “no users on” you’re already dangerously close on both cores to being at high temp. When you actually have users on, you’re potentially even hitting the crit threshold.

This seems to suggest you might want to find more suitable server hardware for what you’re trying to do–3 servers without any online users running close to core “high temp” is a pretty sub-par starting-off point.

Before you ruin your device, I’d probably recommend you explore other hardware to host your server on, or at least run fewer servers on your laptop.

Repeated for emphasis. You could damage your hardware if you continue to use this laptop as you are.

Repeated for emphasis. You could damage your hardware if you continue to use this laptop as you are.

2 Likes

Hi, this problem started on a laptop, but i’m already have another peace of hardware. An Acer Veriton L840G. Thats a pc, not a laptop. This pc should be able to work as a server for max 5 users on one MC server, or is Minecraft really that ‘big’ so that i need a real big server?

I updates the bios to the latest version, turned off the Smart Fan option in the bios , so the fans are not slowing down, and for now this does the job (I hope)… :slight_smile:

Definitely won’t need “real server hardware”–just taking it into the realm of desktops should be enough. Most Minecraft home-hosters use exactly that, with a select few eBay-ing more dedicated server hardware.

Also you should look into running a region-file checker on your servers to look out for corruption; long ago in older Minecraft versions corrupted chunks could cause exorbitant CPU overuse with little to no online users because the programming got stuck in some loop, but fixing the chunks resolved this. This may or may not be an issue with your world files or your MC server software, but it’s worth a check.

2 Likes

No.
A stationary PC should do fine.

What kind of minecraft server are you trying to run? (Vanilla, bukkit, spigot, forge, FTB, pocketmine…)
Do this overheating problem happen even when the minecraft server(s) is stopped?
Do it happen with a vanilla server?

There is (as far as I know) no part of MineOS and the WebUI that demands high load, nor uses loads of resources. But regardless: Did you try to upgrade the WebUI to the latest release? (There are several posts on how to do this, search the forum).

Your server is layered in this fasion:
Minecraft servers
on top of
Mineos / WebUI
on top of
Linux OS (Turnkey if you used the ISO provided here)
on top of
BIOS
on top of
Hardware

(this is a simplification, in reailty minecraft servers and MineOS runs in parallell, where MineOS references the servers)
Cooling, fans and hardware are handled by OS and BIOS according to what hardware repports. Hardware creates heat by usage, and as MineOS is really quite resource friendly, it is the minecraft servers that needs resources.

What I am getting to here is that you either have a hardware problem, or use a resource demanding server (for example a FTB with loads of mods, world generating software, and map generating software). If a vanilla server runs normally, but your chosen version do not, the answer to [quote=“Denniz, post:17, topic:1194”]
Is Minecraft really that ‘big’ so that i need a real big server?
[/quote]
is yes, for the servertype you wish to run. For a small vanilla server you should have no problems at all. If all cooling is working as it should.

For example:
I run on hefty hardware with loads of memory, and a hefty processor (you can read about my setup here in one of the replys here: Update: 3 servers, stable at last!). But if I activate world generation on one of my servers, I have to warn everybody that all my servers will be so laggy that they are unplayable. I also can only archive one server at a time, OR genereate / update online maps for one server at a time. My server is now three years old, and I am already starting to look at upgrading! (not only Mineos/minecraft reasons though, I use the server for other things as well ;D)

A few things you can check though:
Server placement:
Where do you store the PC? Does this location have enough airflow to keep cool? Or does it get hot in there as well? Your PC works like a heater, and if that heat is not removed, the room / cupboard / storage will keep getting hotter. When your PC starts to draw in hot air, it’s cooling gets less efficient, since it tries to cool a hot processor with hot air…

Cleaning:
Further up I reccomended that you open up your laptop to clean it. I will repeat this, but this time for your new hardware (and it being a PC / stationary it should be far simpler). Open it up, check all fans, and try to remove as much dust, hair and gunk from the fans as possible. Check visually that all fans are running as they should. Take the fan off the processor (only the fan, not the cooling ribs) and check the ribs and the underside of the fans for dust, hair and gunk. Remove all you find (and can). Even better for your CPU: consider upgrading the cooling system for your CPU to a better one. You might even consider adding cabinet fans to draw in more air, if your PC supports this.

BIOS / Hardware:
In the bios you can check the CPU. Is it overclocked? Reset it to standard settings. You can even consider underclocking your CPU. Underclocking means you need less power to rund the processor, at the cost of procsessor speed. This also means it produces less heat. Overclocking does the opposite. Gives you more speed by pushing more power (electricity) through it, and forcing it to work faster. This produces a lot more heat!

1 Like

Wow, everybody is thinking about this problem because this problem should not be happening in both cases the same way, to both the laptop and the tower pc.

Could you have thrown any other configuration together in both cases, (laptop and PC)? Other than iMelsom outlines above?

For example, is the [quote=“iMelsom, post:19, topic:1194”]
Mineos / WebUI on top ofLinux OS (Turnkey if you used the ISO provided here)
[/quote] installed on another OS like Apache, Linux, Umbutu, Red Hat first?

Of course I am only grabbing at straws, please do not disregards all the other fine advices you have been given. It is just so odd to have both the laptop and PC behave so strangely and the same for both.

Reformat and try again? Once you get a server up, running and stable without the mods or spigot, go for 3, then if that works start adding spigot and/or mods one server at a time. Then start installing your 3 ‘worlds’ one at a time and re-creating the setups required. If the problem returns during this process [quote=“hexparrot, post:18, topic:1194”]
Also you should look into running a region-file checker on your servers to look out for corruption; long ago in older Minecraft versions corrupted chunks could cause exorbitant CPU overuse with little to no online users because the programming got stuck in some loop, but fixing the chunks resolved this.
[/quote] would have been a great idea to try first!

Again, Good Luck!

No, not really.
You can swap out parts with other parts, but not rearrange them.
You can have any OS you like, as long as it is within the linux family of OS’es, or at least that is where MineOS is now residing and working. I guess you could (if you have enough knowledge of Java, node, webservers and all that rewrite MineOS somewhat to work on a windows server, but for now it is made to work with a linux host.

In my outline I wrote Linux OS, with turnkey in parantesis since that is the one delivered in the preconfigured ISO’s. It was implied that you might use any Linux OS (Ubuntu, debian, redhat…). I’m not sure if you could tweak MineOS and Node easily to get it running on OSX (Macs) or Unix, but both of them share huge parts of their code and command base with linux.

(BTW: Apache is not a OS, Apache foundation that develops server software. They are mos known for their webserver, but they have a lot of other projects as well…)

You may also look into external cooling fans, checking and replacing or installing internal fans, or placing a small fan in front of the computer (or even opening it and facing a fan towards it, leaving it open…I actually used to run on a laptop that would overheat before I used it for MineOS (I was using Windows) and then I got a cooling fan/pad that made it somewhat better but not completely; then I opened it and cleaned the fans which is when it no longer needed the cooling pad but I left it there anyways just incase…then eventually I decided to remove the motherboard and hardware, place it on a table away from everything, and just have a normal fan blowing on it which actually worked perfectly but I’m not saying to follow what I did)

The server is running fine now. The bios has three option. 1. Shutdown on server heating. 2. Shutdown on cpu heating. 3. Smart fan control.

Default values are:

1. off
  2. off
  3. on

So if something is getting to hot, nothing is done. And if the server,cpu gets hotter the fan will start cooling more.

The settings where, 1. on, 2. on and 3 on.

After installing lm-sensors i can now look at the temperature and rpm of the fans.

Looking at the info, the temperatures where normal, the fans were turning slowly. And than, in a split second, the fans were blowing at top speed, and the system shutdown.

I turned off option 1 and turned off option 3. So the fans are blowing ar top speed, and the server will ignore high temp of the server.

The server is running now for a week now without any problems and i’ve been monitoring the temperature. And the temp is in normal ranges.

I’ve done some playing around with ‘fancontrol’, but for now keep the fans on the highest RPM instead of controlling it by different temperatures.

Shutting down is the computer’s safety mechanism from self-inflicting damage. Simply turning those off is, in my opinion, the most dangerous option of all options.

It is up to you to do so, as you are the admin, but whatever the issue causing undue high CPU usage seems unsolved and worth solving still.

1 Like