Server has crashed twice in 24 hours

first crash was
BUG: soft lockup - CPU#3 stuck for 22s! [Java:2017]

server was still running just seen error when I toggle screen to server.

Second one crashed where nothing was working had to reboot also to fix that, I have ran apt-get update and then I updated Webui I got this message updating Webui, how do I update the nodes to fix this?

root@mineos games/minecraft# /bin/bash reset_webui.sh
Script execution started on: Wed May 10 23:32:27 EDT 2017
Updating mineos-node repository…OK
Checking out master branch…Already on ‘master’
OK
Resetting directory to official contents…OK
Deleting npm module dependencies and rebuilding…npm WARN deprecated node-uuid@1.4.8: Use uuid module instead
npm WARN engine apache-crypt@1.1.2: wanted: {“node”:">=5"} (current: {“node”:“4.4.7”,“npm”:“2.15.8”})
npm WARN deprecated to-iso-string@0.0.2: to-iso-string has been deprecated, use @segment/to-iso-string instead.
npm WARN deprecated jade@0.26.3: Jade has been renamed to pug, please install the latest version of pug instead of jade
npm WARN deprecated minimatch@0.3.0: Please update to minimatch 3.0.2 or higher to avoid a RegExp DoS issue
OK
Setting node javascript files to executable…OK
Script execution ended on: Wed May 10 23:32:42 EDT 2017

Well, most of what you’re showing from the reset_webui.sh are WARN[ings] rather than ERRORs, because they’re not really too big a concern. They certainly couldn’t take down a server.

I’d say it’s also a possibility that the crashes are related to Java/Minecraft rather than MineOS. There’s so many areas that could influence a crash, so with what we have here, it’s impossible to tell.

It could be anything from an over allocation of memory, to a leaky plugin, to a defective plugin, to an unrelated runaway process, to … any number of issues that are mentioned when you look up the error you provided:

BUG: soft lockup - CPU#3 stuck for 22s! [Java:2017]

We don’t even know what kind of system you’re running, but here is one explanation:

Many Linux kernels have a soft lockup watchdog thread, and report soft lockup messages if that watchdog thread does not get scheduled for more than 10 seconds. On a physical host, a soft lockup message generally indicates a kernel bug or hardware bug. When running in a virtual machine, this might instead indicate high levels of overcommitment (especially memory overcommitment) or other virtualization overheads.

At the very least, since the error itself (and a critical one, at that) references Java… I’d put my money on the overcommitment explanation. At any rate, I’m certain it’s not nodejs’ warnings.

Does dmesg show anything else about the error?
Any other Linux-logs that indicate the system state at the time of the crash?

My bad I forgot the System OS, I’,m running MineOS Turnkey. And
java -version
java version “1.8.0_121”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-b13)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.121-b13, mixed mode)

I updated java to
java -version
java version “1.8.0_131”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-b11)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)

Have you read this and is it potentially applicable?

And this?

since the two crashes in a few hours, I have updated Webui, Java, and what ever else apt-get update updates. I have left my forge server down and it has ran about 24 hours with no issues. I will run a few more days down with forge server not running and then start it back up so I can rule out plugins or hardware. Forge was the only server I made changes to in the 24 hours before crash. I read some wheres that a kernel for Debian had a bug and to upgrade, but I have no clue how to do so without making things worse. Mot even sure how to check what version kernel I have and if there is an update?

You can use apt-get to update the kernel; depending on what options you chose during installation, kernel upgrades are usually done automatically however to do so via apt-get you may do so using apt-get dist-upgrade.

I did a apt-get dist-upgrade. once in the past and crashed the server once, so I hope the apt-get update will be enough

apt-get update does nothing other than updating the list of available packages, which is how the system knows when updates become available; it doesn’t actually update anything. If you meant apt-get upgrade it does actually update stuff but I personally prefer apt-get dist-upgrade as I use it all the time and have never had problems with it. The system likely crashed on you while executing the command because you had Minecraft server(s) running in the background overallocated beyond safe limits/boundaries for running Minecraft servers while ensuring proper system/subsystem operation.

My issues is with the hardware not how many Spigot servers I can run since I am running 9 spigot and a bungee. since the recent updates I have ran the load on server is been less. SO I feel the issue II had has been fixed

Basically the same thing. You did not have enough unallocated/available system resources available for the system to operate and function correctly, resulting in crashes and/or lockups.

1 Like

Ok, but my server is a i5 3.4GHz 32GB ram 256 GB SSD if seems to run fine when I run 11 servers and when I build a update version of Spigot

i am sorry, can no longer stand silent. i have seen this happen over and over to sir hexparrot (and others). nickname comes in here convinced MineOS is the issue and describes exactly NOT enough information to assess the problem!

sir hexparrot tries his level best to address any MineOS possibilities based on this level worst lack of information from OP, the inevitable[quote=“ironic_8b49, post:3, topic:1875”]
My bad I forgot the System OS,
[/quote]and every other important variable required to help OP including the LOGS.

then we end up getting close to the truth:[quote=“ironic_8b49, post:5, topic:1875”]
I have left my forge server down and it has ran about 24 hours with no issues. I will run a few more days down with forge server not running and then start it back up so I can rule out plugins or hardware. Forge was the only server I made changes to in the 24 hours before crash.
[/quote]or was it?[quote=“ironic_8b49, post:9, topic:1875”]
I can run since I am running 9 spigot and a bungee.
[/quote][quote=“ironic_8b49, post:11, topic:1875”]
seems to run fine when I run 11 servers
[/quote]and STILL the op does not post the logs after repeated requests!

dear ironic_8b49, jaymontana36 is correct. did it never occur that eventually you will run out of hardware resources? no? just keep on building new servers and running them all at once then.

but that may not even be your real issue. go back to the forge server. i can tell you certain that my girls have crashed my whole server several different ways (with a couple of other mc servers running that also crash), all because of a “null pointer exception” (java related), mod conflict (forge related) mc version (mc related), “ticking entity” (mod related), please note none of them are MineOS related and none of them are solved without a LOG examination!

rant over.

best regards,

tNt

1 Like

yes I know running to much on my server can crash it but it’s not over loaded. been running the same 10 servers for a year. I was not blaming MineOS, was just asking about updating the kernel. and the method was one I was not willing to do. I will just run it on the kernel I have. I will do what I did last time when I crashed server from updating kernel, start over with fresh install of MineOS when there is a new release or a server crash that don’t start back up. What ever happens first will be fine. I always back things up so I will not lose any info to the servers