Multiple Versions of Java on MineOS

As the latest 1.17 has started causing friction on the number of Java versions necessary in order to support multiple releases of Minecraft, we’re finding that the Webui is being a bit restrictive on how to run different versions in parallel. This post is to help address this until perhaps a dropdown is implemented in the webui–all these changes occur in server.config:

In the server.config file, you may be accustomed to seeing the following lines:

[java]
jarfile=minecraft_server.1.17.jar
java_xmx=4092
java_tweaks=

Let’s now add an additional line MineOS recognizes to help redirect the java invocation:

[java]
java_binary=/path_to_java_goes_here/bin/java
jarfile=minecraft_server.1.17.jar
java_xmx=4092
java_tweaks=

For this server, and this server only (make changes to servers as desired), the java_binary will 100% replace whatever the default Java is. You should now be able to run multiple versions of java, i.e., have numerous versions in parallel downloaded at once, and use them at-will.

This functionality has existed since the inception of MineOS, so an update to the webui is not required.

6 Likes

For reference, I used the instructions found at the link below to install another version of java.

I have Java 16 running on MineOS and Java 8 and 11 as alterative versions, so this will allow me to down grade my java for lets says bungee which requires Java 11 to run right, and I have a server which need Java 8.

I just added the java_binary= and it works great THANKS

1 Like

java_binary= now added by default to all new servers so that it gets visibility all the time.

It shouldn’t be hard to add this to the webui, but I’ll want to do some exploration because it’ll change the balance of the webui and I want to get it done correctly.

1 Like

Also worked fine for me. Added Java’s 17 path to the already existing “java_binary” property on the server’s “server.config” file. All fine, thx!