Close to mineos-node release!

Actually, the way “profiles” works has drastically changed–to the point where they are no longer even necessary.

Here’s how they work now:

If it’s a simple server, e.g., a Mojang official jar or a FTB setup, then you do the following:

1. go to the profiles page, locate a profile and click download
  2. go to the ‘server status’ page, select the profile you just downloaded in the drop down, and then select the appropriate jar file in the ‘jar file’ drop down.
  3. click start

If it’s a custom server of your own making, you do the following (or you’re importing a server from somewhere else and it includes the java jarfile):

1. move the .jar file to the appropriate directory, e.g., /var/games/minecraft/myserver/myjar.jar
  2. select myjar.jar (or whatever you called it) from the drop down
  3. click start

Whereas before a profile actually determined which file to start the server with, now the ‘profile’ is just a convenient way to download a file and put it in /var/games/minecraft/myserver. This change should hopefully improve the workflow for all users, in every scenario.

For example, if you are importing a server from a different computer, you are likely already carrying the appropriate .jar file. If so, you go right to the drop down and done. Before, you had already brought over the .jar AND you had to still create a profile to match it (and download it!).

So TLDR: you no longer need to create profiles, and creating profiles is no longer even an option. Just make sure your jar file has the extension .jar and you should be good to go.

OK I see now. I agree about the new workflow. I was having to host the compiled .jar files on my own website just so the server could get updated profiles when necessary. This should make things simpler.

Thanks again.

Is there a back-end way of doing it? there may be some cases where making one may be a better option (e.g. the jar file is faster to download on the server with 1GBPS port, instead of a home connection @ 20 MBPS.)

Yes, simply set the [Java] jarfile to the desired file name in server.config

hi,

i installed mineos-node today and played around with it a bit. this is supposed to be just some random feedback about my experiences.

i used the github instructions to install onto a fresh ubuntu 14.04 64bit (https://github.com/hexparrot/mineos-node).
following those the installation was quite easy. though i know what upstart or systemd means… some might not.
i also encountered the “first sever doesn’t show up” issue but after a restart of the node app (and a relog) i could see the servers i was creating.
all good from there. i even figured out how to handle profiles (which still seem kind of complex to me). - a suggestion on the side: i would make the profiles just be a part of the “create server” wizard as an “either a server from a profile or a custom server” selection thing and remove the profile selection from the server at a glance page. i’m quite a minimalist in that fashion… i love when i only see what i need to see. :smile:
and i am loving the restore points and the archives. both work very well for me (i tried around with backup & restore as well) - a sugesstion here: make the server stop or restart automatically when hitting the restore button.
and without wanting to sound harsh… i find the “calendar” feature useless. one could for example simply look at the creation dates of backups instead or is there something to it i’m not seeing? (this is also a product of my minimalism)
maybe a bug: when i klick the little X in the corner of a notification it doesn’t get removed.
sometimes the web-ui seems to get stuck somehow and i have to reload the page or klick the refresh server list button. also sometimes the web-ui wouldn’t show any content like servers at all. to resolve that i also have to reload the page or refresh the server list.

otherwise it works suprisingly well for an early release like this. thumbs up! and keep it going. i am really excited about this.
thanks a lot!