Changing ports and stuff

Hello !

I would like to know how I may change the ports of things like SSH, SFTP, the webinterface and the Webadmin.

And also, how do I tunnle the said things through a VPN network like hamachi ?

While we are at it, does Bungeecord work with MineOS ? anf if so, what is the best way to make it connect with an other server computer inside the same house.

Thanks everyone who worked on MineOS, it’s great !

The first and most important thing to know about MineOS is it is simply Debian Linux packaged with the MineOS webui interface for managing Minecraft servers.

That said, almost all of your questions have neat and tidy, official solutions.

SSH and SFTP (same service)
Edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

Port 22  #change to anything

Afterward, service ssh restart to restart the service with the new settings in place. For more detailed instructions, simply Google “change ssh port.”

MineOS Web UI*
Edit /etc/mineos.conf:

server.socket_port = 8080

The web-ui will restart itself automatically, but now you’ll need to make sure to put the new port in the URL of your web browser.

Webmin

Edit /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf

port=12321
listen=12321

Then service webmin restart. Disclaimer: I don’t actually use webmin–at all–so you may want to review additional sources to ensure this is all you need to change or if you only need to change one or the other, etc.

FIREWALL

All of the default ports for these services are let in through the Linux firewall IPTABLES. If you change the ports services run on, you need to change the corresponding entries in the firewall too. There is a brief summary of the steps on the MineOS wiki, but as an alternative you can again use any Debian/Ubuntu based tutorial out on the internet, as well as use webmin itself to manage the firewall entries.

Bungeecord isn’t actually a Minecraft server, but just a proxy really, to move users from one server to another. Because of this, it’s integration in MineOS is functional, but not particularly intuitive.

A user must create a profile of type “unmanaged” with the URL, etc. matching that of Bungeecord’s download URL. You will then “create a server” using that profile and then have to manually adjust Bungeecord’s config in command-line (MineOS isn’t equipped to do it). There’s quite a few steps and its rather hacky, so if you want to go in this direction, please create a new post addressing only this to keep things organized/get more attention.

Based on the fact that MineOS actually does no management of the config for bungeecord, it is just as plausible to not use the MineOS web-ui for your bungeecord at all. That is, use the official instructions for installing bungeecord in command line–it will be able to connect any servers, whether initiated by MineOS or not.

Alright, thanks a lot hexarrot, I’m very new to all this Linux stuff ^^

I’ll be sure to ask for help here again if I run into any problems.

Yes, what’s the diffrence between an Archive action and a Backup action ?

When the subject of the post changes, don’t be hesitant to set it up as a completely new post–I’m not concerned if you have 10 different posts, so long as they are 10 different concerns.

An archive is a single file that contains all the files of the entire folder. A backup is an incremental backup, which is best thought of as ‘snapshots’ in normal usage. Snapshots can be taken more frequently and many snapshots won’t take up nearly as much room as an archive.

You typically use archives when you want to transfer the server elsewhere, either for safekeeping or for migration to another computer.

Couple of quick questions.

Why would you even want to consider changing default ports?
It’s against best practices to change default ports.

One of the reasons for this is because it might interfer with other “default” ports.
I would only recommend changing ports if you know what you are doing.

Many questions i have seen can be done using other methods, like for example port mappings in your firewall/router.
Also if you are using a VPN connection from an external location to your internal network, why even bother changing ports then?

Can you please elloborate on your design, so we can better understand your goals, thoughts and motivations?

Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a really good point. With the most frequent deployment of MineOS being people hosting servers on their residential/home internet, changing the ports on the router-side of things, rather than the server-side of things is a great way to avoid having to change lots of configuration. That is, port 22 can be–as far as your MineOS host is concerned SSH, even if you and anybody else can access it from outside your LAN from port 10000 or 40123 or any other port you may come up with.

Yeah, seriously, take it from [me][1]:

DON’T change your ports. It’s a struggle, especially if you’re new to Linux like you @NLGAMER1000 and me.

Just… human to human… (gonna assume you’re human for a moment :smile:) don’t.
[1]: WebUI external access