Can't start server after java update

Hey, I’ve been having an isue with mineos where I can’t start the server after a java update. I followed this tutorial: Upgrading to Java 15 from the MineOS Turnkey ISO . When I press start in the web-ui I get the message: Start server failed 1. These are the mineos logs:

{“level”:“info”,“message”:"[Rammeke] 192.168.1.223 issued command : “start”",“timestamp”:“2021-06-27T20:07:33.432Z”}
{“level”:“info”,“message”:"[Rammeke] received request “start”",“timestamp”:“2021-06-27T20:07:33.433Z”}
{“command”:“start”,“uuid”:“4f325b80-d783-11eb-8944-e7b12fa431f6”,“time_initiated”:1624824453432,“success”:false,“err”:1,“time_resolved”:1624824454597,“level”:“error”,“message”:"[Rammeke] command “start” errored out:",“timestamp”:“2021-06-27T20:07:34.598Z”}

Can someone help, I can’t figure this one out on my own, thanks.

Had you tried to update to Java 16? I believe there’s steps further down the post.

I updated the server to java 15. Before the update I couldn’t start 1.17 servers, but the rest was fine. Now I can’t start any server.

@rammeke_mafkees

Try starting the server manually, from the command line. This will give you direct exposure to the errors or issues within. To do this:

In this example testing is the servername, change as necessary.

mc@mineos-tkldev ~$ cd /var/games/minecraft/servers/testing
mc@mineos-tkldev .../servers/testing$ which java
/usr/bin/java
mc@mineos-tkldev .../servers/testing$ /usr/bin/java -jar minecraft_server.1.7.9.jar 

The error you get here should explain why no servers start, whether it’s a java issue, jar issue, permissions issue… etc. If you share the output, we can help you interpret it.

I get the following result:

Error: Unable to access jarfile minecraft_server.1.7.9.jar

Be sure to update the server jar, as well, to match the jar in your directory.

ls to list the files.

I get this error message:
Error: LinkageError occurred while loading main class net.minecraft.server.Main
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: net/minecraft/server/Main has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 60.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 59.0

Java 15 only recognizes up to 59, so you will need Java 16.

Uhh, how do I go about doing that?

The same way you got 15 going. I updated the previous page for 16, too.

I updated java. After that I wasn’t able to start the server from the mineos webui, but I was able to start the server manually.

Most likely issue now is that the server has been inadvertently started as root.