Deploying Direwolf20

Continuing the discussion from Introductions:

Here is how I found was the easiest way to get FTB modpacks up and running. Keep in mind, for vanilla and bukkit–which are simple, single-jar packages–can be done much more easily, but Feed the Beast is more complicated because what you download from the modpack authors is not 100% of what you need–much else (the core MC files) has to be downloaded after-the-fact, for legal reasons.

How to install Direwolf 20 (can be modified to download other FTB packs).

Download the modpack.

I first logged into the server terminal (command line) as the user mc. On non-Turnkey installations, this would be whatever user you’ve created, instead.

mc@core ~$ cd 
mc@core ~$ wget http://www.creeperrepo.net/FTB2/modpacks%5Edirewolf20_17%5E1_0_3%5Edirewolf20_17-server.zip
mc@core ~$ mkdir dw20
mc@core ~$ cd dw20
mc@core ~/dw20$ unzip ../modpacks^direwolf20_17^1_0_3^direwolf20_17-server.zip
mc@core ~/dw20$ chmod +x FTBInstall.sh
mc@core ~/dw20$ ./FTBInstall.sh

What I’ve done up to this point is download ~115mb of the modpack and extracted it to a directory in my home folder. Then, I gave executable permissions to the FTB install script provided by the authors. Finally, I ran the install script, which downloads the official Minecraft jar. By manually examining the ServerStart.sh script, I was able to identify that the authors want me to use the Java jar named FTBServer-1.7.10-1272.jar (remember this).

Create a profile in the web-ui

In this example, I gave it the following attributes:

profile name: dw20
type: unmanaged
jarfile to run: FTBServer-1.7.10-1272.jar
jarfile arguments: nogui

Referencing the jar from the previous step, I create an unmanaged profile, which is another way of saying “MineOS will trust you to put FTBServer-1.7.10-1272.jar and any required dependencies in the server directory.”

Create a server in the web-ui

I create a new server in the web-ui, which I called ddd (call it whatever you want, of course).

I set all the properties as desired, keeping good note of XMS and XMX.

Copy profile files to the live server directory

These steps must be done as root, because it involves moving files into root-owned directories.

root@core ~# mv /home/mc/dw20 /var/games/minecraft/profiles
root@core ~# cp -R /var/games/minecraft/profiles/dw20/* /var/games/minecraft/servers/ddd/
root@core ~# chown -R mc:mc /var/games/minecraft/servers/ddd

Here, I’ve moved all the required files to the empty dw20 directory. These files don’t actually do anything here, but by doing this, I can make more Direwolf20 servers in the future, without having to reproduce the profile steps ever again.

Then, I copied all the files from the profile directory into the live server directory and ensured permissions are as expected.

Start the server from the web-ui

Push start in the web-ui and the server will begin to liven up. However, you’re expected to accept the EULA, so it’ll die down again and you can hit Accept EULA from the web-ui. Then, start up the server again and it should go live.

Conclusion

Command line isn’t ideal–it’d be nice to do all things in the web-ui, but sometimes more complicated configurations (like DW20 requiring a download) makes it unavoidable to use the command line. Further, having a URL with “^” (carets) is just bad form and prevents proper downloading of the file from the web-ui (because it does responsible sanitizing).

Using these steps, though, you should be able to create one or more server using DW20. The “Download a modpack” and “Create a Profile” steps can be skipped and you can go right to “create a server in the web-ui.”

5 Likes

That’s a wonderful guide, I’ll test it out tomorrow, and add it to the guide I’m developing.

Do you have a google doc or anything that I can share the guide with as it develops?

This was a really great guide!

Thanks for the guide.