Close to mineos-node release!

After what I’m certain is hundreds of hours of development and learning node.js, the new MineOS webui is readying for use!

mineos-node, the latest iteration of the web user interface, has taken shape very well and makes huge advancements over the Python-based webui that has been my primary project for a few years now.

mineos-node now leverages node.js which allows all actions to report to the webui in real-time, whether it is logging, or just getting second-by-second updates of disk usage, memory usage, etc.

Profiles have been entirely redone and I hope that profile confusion can be a thing of the past. As of this moment, all mojang official jars and FTB server packs are listed in the webui, with almost every one working without more than a simple ‘start’.

I have a new scheduling system which should allow literal crontab format to be saved and used for major server actions, such as starting, stopping, archiving, backing up, and sending messages to the console. The list of available actions will increase once the webui starts seeing some good testing feedback, as I don’t want to constantly delay release for minor features.

It’s important to note this is not production-ready. That does not mean it is unsafe, by any means, or unstable (but very well could have some glaring issues), but that is what this pre-release testing is asking for: I’m looking for feedback regarding the following aspects:

1. installation ease
    Currently I’m aiming for this to work only on Debian/Ubuntu (apt-get) and I will get it to work on all systems, eventually.
  2. glaring errors
    Are there any actions you need to do that just crash everything…or just doesn’t work.
  3. creating a server/profiles workflow

At this moment, the import server code is not in place (but it will be, soon), but I’m really keen on seeing just new servers and getting them to work.

Importing servers will eventually be easier than the old webui, with the potential of being able to even upload from the webui (large archives, yes), but again–I’m trying to keep this round of testing limited to how most people will be using MIneOS at the start: creating successfully a new server and getting it running.

If we know getting a server running goes smoothly, so will importing. Importing does work (merely by putting the directory in the /var/games/minecraft/servers, just as before) it is just not yet in the webui.

I’ll be creating a video soon on the features and the workflow, but I’d like to see how it is able to be used without that knowledge, as most users don’t watch the video and I want to have the best possible feedback and first impressions.

I’m really excited about this new iteration and I hope it far exceeds the expectations from the previous web-ui.

Thanks, and I hope the instructions on the github page get you guys started really easily!

Will

3 Likes

Do you have it starting automatically on boot yet?
Can you run the generate ssh from the web-UI?

would love to test this with my turn key server. but it’s not liking the
instructions. I know the sudo is unneeded. I’m getting errors on the first
command, it can’t find any of the packages.

I fixed my repository issue myself. I just had a brain fart…

I have found an issue while starting initial testing. I can not create a FTB infinity 1.5.1 server. This is the first server i have tried to create. but the drop-down for selecting the run-able jar doesn’t contain anything to select. so I can not create the server.

Actually ftb infinity is the only one of many I’ve tested that doesnt work, because that server pack is the only one on that list that has an install script prior to being able to do anything with it.

Ftb infinity requires the official mojang 1.7.10 jar, which has to be downloaded separately (via ftbinstall.sh). Literally all other packs don’t have this restriction and seem to work out of box.

The github issue describes how I address it, but that pack seems overly complex so either an admin is gonna have to run that install script manually or show me how to get it working at all in the first place (ie as if they had no web Ui). If I can’t get it to work in general, I can’t get it to work automatedly.

Anyway, as far as right now, very specifically because I haven’t figured out that pack, I’m hoping you can ignore it and see if any other pack, or even official jar makes sense to work with. I don’t want progress on a new webui held up because of the one pack I can’t automate.

The reason you see no jars in the drop down is because the ftbinstall script is what gets the jar to the live directory. Any jars in the live directory are listed there, profile really has no bearing on it.

It automatically starting on boot is very easy, but is not part of the install instructions yet because I’m wanting the errors logs to be easily accessible and visible to the admin testing the webui. If it’s set to run on boot, the webui is being daemonized (put in background) and it’s less likely going to get reported to me with good details of why and how.

Tldr: I need a better sense of how operable it is before I can make the script operate as smoothly as the existing Python webui.

It doesn’t seem like this would be desirable, though. If you generate the ssl through the webui, it means you’ve already logged in as your Linux user through a non-ssl connection (unsecured).

Is there any particular advantage to doing it from the webui rather than the one command it takes during installation?

Just thought it would have been convenient for the complete noobs who are likely to come.

Ooooh. sounds fun… I’ll put it on my FreeBSD bare metal this weekend. Anyone interested in doing a screenshare as I walkthrough? Will, you may find it useful to watch a dummy work through it. You can see where linux illiterates fall down…

That boggles my mind that the only pack FTB has that requires the install script is infinity… of course it’s the pack i run… I’ll put together something on getting the pack running. i’m very noobish. but I can get it to work. I’ll record the whole thing at 1080p and then you can see what I do maybe I can actually contribute to this cause after all.

Lee

Ah mineos-node isn’t ready for the prime time yet, so I’m hoping they’ll put off this iteration for some time while I get all the kinks worked out. Importing and installation are the two most important aspects to getting good adoption and neither of them are implemented elegantly (at least compared to Python mineos).

Is nobody interested in testing and helping improve mineos-node?

If you need someone to test it out, I can setup a droplet for an hour and play around with it.

1 Like

Spinning up a VM for some testing!

1 Like

I can try to test, but probably won’t be of much help. I don’t have a home internet connection (using my relatives to host servers)

I will try again now that I have no servers running that I care about. I had installed it but was having issues interacting with the already running servers. now that those servers gone I will start over. I have removed the old minoes web ui and I will start the process of installing the new webUI right now.

I can not seem to get my recording software to record anything but a single window. and with the different windows that I need to hop to doing this I am unable to give you a video of the process I am sorry. until I can figure out how to do that This reply is out of order. it is about the video I was trying to make above.

ready to test over here with my machine, will even do a full unbuntu install to do testing as you see fit on straight to metal. :slight_smile: only just saw this

Just did a fresh install of Debian 8, and works (so far)

So I’ve setup the new webui on a fresh Ubuntu Server. Looks good so far. Only thing bothering me is I don’t think there is a way to use custom servers. I compile my own Spigot servers and wanted to test one with some plugins but I couldn’t find anywhere to specify a “Custom Profile”.

Is there one and I’m just missing it or is it not implemented yet?